Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by twokey: Not overwhelmed, but will probably cruise again

twokey
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Grandeur of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

Not overwhelmed, but will probably cruise again

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Other

We have just returned from our Grandeur of the Seas cruise through the Southern Caribbean. This was my first cruise and my partner's first as an adult. We both found the whole experience to be extremely good, not great. I say not great because no part of the experience exceeded our expectations. Maybe we expected too much. The service was very good, the food was good, the activities were OK. The entertainment was good. Overall, we had a very good time. I just was expecting to be "wowed", based on all that I had heard about cruising.

We were upgraded, initially, to a Junior Suite on the 8th deck, aft. I loved this idea because the balcony is so much bigger than the others. That is why, when I was offered an upgrade to a Grand Suite the week before we left, I said no. The Grand Suites were all up front underneath the Windjammer. I had heard stories about chairs being dragged across the floor at all hours and the balconies were not as big. I'LL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! If we had More taken the Grand Suite, we would have saved an hour of embarkation, gotten many of the spiffs that go with a Suite and gotten a bigger room, too. As it turned out, I spent a total of about 10 minutes on our balcony the whole seven nights. The balcony, however, was magnificent, I just never went out there.

This brings me to the room. I was certainly expecting, after a $48 million dollar renovation,that the room would have been pretty nice. It was a flashback to the 1970's. It was very clean, but the furnishings, except for the flat-screen TV, all seemed old. The carpet was new, I think. And the toilet seat? would someone please explain to me why the toilet seat is only 2
inches at the widest point? Everything else about the toilet was regular except the seat, I might as well have been sitting on the bowl itself.

I found out, after booking this cruise, that it was an "Immersion Cruise", which meant most of the passengers(95%) were Spanish speaking. This was not a big problem, as my partner speaks Spanish fluently. Towards the end of the cruise, I found myself eager to converse with other passengers in a common language, but that is my issue, not RCI's.

Obviously, I had no interest in any of the entertainment, as it was all in Spanish. I did go to see Hector, the Magician, as I figured I'd understand the illusions, at least and my partner
did translate everything to me as he was talking.

The crew all spoke English, so I had no problems with getting around. After our first port, however, all announcements were only in Spanish.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. I will definitely consider another cruise, but I don't find myself craving the next one, as so many seem to. I think I will be more satisfied on
a Cruise Line that is not so "family oriented". Children are nice, but I think I prefer them on land.

Royal Caribbean is awesome. I would like to continue cruising with this line, maybe on a CELEBRITY cruise next time. I think that CELEBRITY is their "upgrade" version. I have been told that it is kind of the LEXUS for RCI. I'll have to do some research on the CELEBRITY demographics. I think this is how I can have a better experience and still retain my "loyalty benefits". Less

Read more Grandeur of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grandeur of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Grandeur of the Seas Junior Suite Deck 7 8086

Great location! The balcony is huge, with plenty of room for the 2 lounge chairs, the table and 2 sitting chairs, as well as room to walk around. This Suite is under the Spa, so no noise ever. Occasionally we had some soot from the smoke stack, but nothing to be at all concerned with. What a delight it was to watch the ocean as we sailed along.

We did this one on our own. We found lots to see and do.
Read 681 Aruba Reviews

We took the WOODWIND snorkeling tour, as I had heard great things on TRIPADVISOR. They were excellent. The whole crew was a delight. The training and guidance was superb. The snorkeling locations were breath-taking. I strongly suggest this experience. We did it on our own, not through the ship.
Read 238 Bonaire Reviews

Great history and scenery. We hired a local guide to take us around. He was quite knowledgeable and added to our experience.

This was our port of Embarkation and Disembarkation. Since we had not been told that we had to be off the ship by 8am, we had arranged for pick-up at 10:30. What a pitiful way to end the cruise, having to stand around in the loading area waiting for our ride in the heat. I am so very sorry that I had not heard about being kicked of the ship so early.

Again, we did this on our own. We had made friends with a couple of other cruisers on board and just wandered the city, buying a few mementos, here and there. We all had a good time.
Read 501 Curacao Reviews