Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Rileyspike

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Rileyspike
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: Rileyspike
Cruise Date: November 2012
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: Q4
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Back To Back Transatlantic
I wasn't going to write another transatlantic review but after reading so many negatives I thought I would stick my two pennies worth in!

I really don't understand people that give the Queen Mary 2 less than four stars, it is simply a wonderful experience . Is it perfect? Well in my opinion it comes very close with only a few little things that let it down.

Anyway my partner and I originally planned to fly out to New York and join the ship there but after a really tough few months at work we decided to do the back to back crossing thus enjoying 14 days of relaxation without having to enter an airport.

EMBARCATION

This is our third crossing with Cunard and In my opinion this is the area in which Cunard falls down the most! We arrived at 12:00 as per the instructions to find a huge queue and to be told by a rather abrupt female that there was a problem so we had best take a seat. After sitting for about 10 minutes we were told to rejoin the queue which had grown significantly. When we finally reached the counter and completed our booking in process we were told that we were to be met by our butler and escorted on to the ship. BUT there wasn't one available so we could either wait or just join the security queue. We decided to just join the queue. When we boarded we were escorted to our cabin, a very nice touch but the crew member didn't even offer to carry our hand luggage and was rather surly.

THE SUITE

We booked a Q4 penthouse on deck 9 and we were not disappointed, the suite was large and comfortable and well laid out. The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of storage, the guest bathroom was wasted but a nice touch! The only negative was that considering the ship only had a refit this year the carpet in places didn't fit properly and was very noticeable! Below is a link to a video we made of the suite:

BUTLER

The butler and his assistant were fantastic, breakfast was served on time and the food was hot. The suite was kept spotless and tidy, the fridge was stocked and the fruit basket was always fresh. We ate dinner in our suite one evening and the butler served it by course.

QUEENS GRILL RESTAURANT

The food and service was fantastic, service did get sloppy one night but I would put that down to everyone seemingly turning up at the same time. I can honestly say that I didn't have a bad meal I enjoyed every single one. The only negative is that Caviar and foie gras were no longer listed on the menu but the maitre d did get us both on request.

KINGS COURT

So much has been written about the kings court buffet and mostly negative but it very much suited our needs. We wanted to have a relaxed lunch experience so being able to have a slice of pizza, hot dog or simply some salad suited our needs. We didn't find it crowded or confusing as is much complained about.

ENTERTAINMENT

I attended at least one guest speaker a day and on the whole they were all very good and interesting. My partner and I also completed the behind the scene tours which cost $120 each. In my opinion the cost as worth it, the tour was very well organised and well executed.

We attended a few shows in the theatre which were ok but nothing to exciting, we didn't get round to seeing any of the RADA productions this time so I cant comment on them.

NEW YORK

Sailing up the hudson and docking in a Manhattan pier was a wonderful experience which I would love to repeat one day, beats Brooklyn hands down!

HOWEVER ....... getting off the ship and then back on again was hell on toast! It took us more than an hour just to get through immigration. It was surprisingly stressful and not an experience I would not like to repeat!

Summary

After 14 days of being spoilt and very much pampered I felt very sad to get of the ship! I was worried about spending 14 days at sea but the QM2 is a wonderful ship and I was very much kept busy and entertained.

Publication Date: 12/17/12