Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by rickrama

Oasis of the Seas
Member Name: rickrama
Cruise Date: November 2012
Cabin Category: JS

Oasis of the Seas - Fantastic 2nd honeymoon!
Just had our 2nd honeymoon on the 7 day Western Caribbean Oasis of the Seas. November 24th sailing.

This was our 2nd cruise, our 1st was on Emerald Princess.

The Oasis is a marvel of engineering and architecture - the size of a small city!

I was wary about a ship with more than 6000+ passengers but I NEVER felt the impact of crowds in terms of lines or quality of food/entertainment.

Checkin and boarding took 15 minutes - amazing!

Our junior suite was spacious, a huge walk in closet, king sized bed, living room and double size balcony with table/chairs and 2 lounge chairs, just perfect!

Entertainment on this ship is unsurpassed in the cruise industry, RCCL has really invested some $$$ in the production value and it shows:

Hairspray - broadway quality musical, entertaining and energetic

Come fly with me - really was a 'cirque' quality acrobatic show

Frozen in time - entertaining ice skating show

Oasis of dreams - diving and more acrobatic feats in the outdoor aqua theatre.

The wife LOVED the shows and I must say that I was thoroughly entertained...we didn't bother with the comedy club as it was always sold out and I didn't care to stand in line - 4 shows in a week was enough for me!

Food - I was most wary about the food quality with the huge passenger load so I booked FOUR specialty dining nights

Chops Grille - our favorite spot, we dined there twice -attentive service and treatment by the management and service staff... excellent shrimp and oyster apps, very tasty crab cake app....filet mignon was cooked well, anticipate a temp grade higher than you ask for so plan accordingly...i.e if you want med well order medium. We ate the mud pie each night and each night we were given the red velvet cake to take back to the room....this red velvet cake was the BEST dessert of the cruise-amazing!

Giovannis - good service, food was good, osso bucco melted in my mouth, get a pasta dish to share....

150 Central Park - we saved this one for our last night...some reviews were negative so I didnt know what to expect....it is all about quality over quantity...several courses - salmon cooked to perfection, tender succulent lamb....all good and not too filling but altogether not as memorable as our Chops dining experience!

Main Dining Room - this was a pleasant surprise - I was quite skeptical about service and food quality from reviews but overall we had NO issues....Francisco and Sandro were our favorite dinner servers....ala carte breakfast in the MDR is the way to go!

We didnt eat at the Skyjammer buffett at all but did have a couple lunches at the Solarium buffet - overall good stuff.

Room service breakfast is the way to go EVERY day....breakfast on the balcony is one of the highlights of the cruise for me...they were early or on time 5/6 mornings!

They have a Starbucks on board! Had a starbucks almost every day - the Filipina gal there was great and made my cinnamon dolce and peppermint lattes every day to SBUX perfection!

We worked out at the gym 3 times...never had a hard time getting a good elliptical and the weight machines (hammer strength, lifecycle) were all state of the art!

Ports were Labadee, Falmouth Jamaica and Cozumel Mexico...had excursions booked through the ship but for one reason or another ended up canceling all of those and making our own excursions - really the only way to do it!

We found Doctor Cove beach in Montego Bay - one of the best beaches there.

Snorkeled at Chakanab in Cozumel, clear water, fish and reef life was amazing.

Labadee is just what it is, a completely artificial commercial environment but a good beach day.

Wife and I had separate Spa treatments- I had a head to toe massage with Pam, an Indian girl from South Africa - she was great!

Casino was OK - slots seemed pretty loose, won a few hundred bucks playing roulette, craps and slots the first night we went....well by the 3rd night lets just say I gave it back...and then some.

We took the cruise after Thanksgiving to get away from it all, blackberries, emails, work etc etc....found the Oasis of the Sea to be a very relaxing way to get away and would do it again....perhaps the Allure? We want to try another line...probably onto Celebrity next.

I recommend that you definitely should get a suite and at the very least get a balcony....that really enhanced our cruise experience!

Publication Date: 12/17/12