Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by popye

Celebrity Eclipse
Member Name: popye
Cruise Date: November 2012
Cabin Category: 2B
See More About: Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Shore Excursions 5+

Fantastic ship
We boarded with 2 friends in Ft. Lauderdale after being informed via email that boarding would be later than usual due to the fact that it was the first week back from Europe and disembarkation of crew and guests would take longer than normal, but the line kept moving and we were on board by 13:00 hrs. and in our cabin by 14:00. We got a great price because our cabin was listed as "partially obstructed". Even thought I could've jumped on to the roof of a lifeboat from our balcony, we could still see the ocean and the roof of the lifeboat/tender was even with the balcony floor so the obstruction was not a problem. My wife and I love to sit on the balcony and enjoy our morning coffee and OJ and in the late afternoon with a glass of wine to enjoy the sunset and we did both every day without regret. The savings was worth the partial obstruction.

The stateroom was great and the bathroom very well appointed with the glassed in shower stall being one of the largest we've seen in all our cruises. I took advantage of the "premium beverage package" enjoying many different exotic drinks, fresh squeezed orange juice and many different specialty coffees and lattes. My wife was so envious, she purchased the beverage package for the last 4 days of the cruise. The cost was $54/day, but purchasing it early, gave a discount. I'm a records keeper and so kept track of the drinks I had that I would've otherwise had to pay for and I did drink more than the $54/day on most days. (it was well worth it) I'm not a huge drinker, but enjoy flavourful drinks and nice wines as well as caramel macchiatos etc. so if you're even thinking about it, do it. In my opinion it was worth it not to have to give a second thought to how much we were racking up on our bill every time we ordered a drink.

The ship itself was beautifully decorated and well laid out, making getting from one place to the next very easy. We enjoyed the "Lawn Club" a few times especially after a beach day where we relaxed with a drink and listened to an amazing guitar player and watched the sunset and sail-away. I used the gym every day and my one complaint there would be that they only had one rowing machine which I only got on once in the week. The machines all worked and were very new and glided beautifully along with a full assortment of dumb bells.

I only booked one shore excursion (a scuba dive in St. Maarten) and all went very well. We were met one time at the pier and returned exactly on time as well.

I only have 2 more complaints which are minor and one of which I knew about before we got on board anyway. I enjoy having a steam room and sauna available for no extra cost which I've enjoyed on most of the cruises thus far. The Eclipse had a relatively small sauna in the men's change room, but the steam room was in the Persian Spa which was an extra charge.

Also, I think because of the beverage package, the bartenders were a little overworked and sometimes hard to find. The molecular bar which was amazing, only had one bartender and those drinks took a while each to prepare so the wait was a little long, even thought the drinks were fantastic.

Long and short: I'd go on this ship again in a heart beat in fact we've booked on a sister ship (The Solstice) next year. Thanks Celebrity!

Publication Date: 12/17/12