Carnival Victory Cruise Review by Madmaxcruisecritic: Great ports but disappointing cruise

Madmaxcruisecritic
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean Cruises

Great ports but disappointing cruise

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

On embarkation, we were supposed to be in VIP boarding. There were no signs or special lines that we could see to receive our sail and sign cards. The only VIP sign we saw and went to was security so we went through there. When we got on the other side to board the ship, we had to turn around and go back through the line for our sail and sign cards. Not very VIP in my opinion and not enough signage to let you know where you were supposed to go. I was of course disappointed in the change of port dates because I had to pay for internet service in order to change my dates. I would not have paid that money otherwise but since our tours were booked prior to sailing and not through Carnival, that was my only option to change them.

Also related to the change of itinerary was the food and beverages. Most of the time, only certain areas were open to get drinks and many were closed. I felt they needed all open for the amount of people using them. Also, the food was cold one evening when More we went to Lido deck to eat dinner. We chose the buffet instead of Pacific lounge because it was Cruise Elegant night and the line was very long to get into the restaurant. Many people were doing that even though they were dressed up for dinner, so "anytime dining" was not a good choice in that respect. The choices of food were limited and I am assuming that is because it was well into the cruise before we got new supplies.

I have only been on one other cruise line, but the Victory was very unbalanced and swayed the entire time we were at sea. The other cruise line we took had no movement except for one night when we had a storm at sea with 38ft. squalls. Other than that, perfectly still. I am not sure of the reason but others on the cruise said they had been on other Carnival cruises and all were the same regarding constant movement.

The ports overall were great and we had great ease in getting off the ship each time. Only one port did we have to wait very long to disembark and I believe it was due to the fact that we were late coming into the port and everyone was trying to get to their excursions, etc.
We bought an ocean-view suite but I would call it a verandah room as the suites on the Holland Westerdam had an extra bathroom (toilet)and separate sitting area with a much bigger balcony. The room had a very tiny bathtub. It could have been bigger for sure. The room was adequate except for the bathtub, but just not what I thought I had purchased.

Overall, I would not recommend Carnival because of all the issues but I would recommend the ports we went to as they were all gorgeous and customer friendly. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Suite Empress 7278

good quiet location mid-ship, close enough to elevators mid and aft, very tiny bathtub, not considered a suite in my opinion...more like a ocean-view verandah room

Catamaran Tour

(5)
great catamaran and staff was friendly; saw turtles and many fish snorkeling; great food and drinks

We took a segway tour around Old San Juan and our guide was so informative. We learned all about the fort there and how and why it was built. The segways were a great way to get around the area and very easy to drive.
Read 1378 San Juan Reviews

ATV Adventure

(5)
We took a 4x4 to the Rain forest and old Sugar mill plantation and mill. The Rain forest part was great and beautiful. The rest of the tour of the plantation and old mill was okay. The guide was very informative and passionate about it but the plantation was not worth seeing as it was dilapidated. We tasted some local island fruits and desserts and had some very good rum punch. I loved the views from the Rain forest area on the mountain.

We didn't see much of the island as we had a day pass to Rendezvous Resort. The resort was great and relaxing and the staff were wonderful to cater to our every need. Lunch was great as well.

Nothing planned at this port as it was supposed to be our last stop and we thought we might be tired and just relax on the ship. However, it became our first port with itinerary change so we shopped most of the morning and had lunch on the ship.

Sailing

(5)
This was by far our favorite tour on a 1954 all wood sailboat for 6 persons. It was most relaxing, great staff and food, and wonderful rum punch! Couldn't have asked for a better day! Thanks Capt. Dave and Shelby!