Westerdam Cruise Review by yvoyage

Westerdam
Member Name: yvoyage
Cruise Date: December 2012
Cabin Category: SY
See More About: Westerdam Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Westerdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Westerdam Deck Plans
RELAXING CRUISE
We can say that H-A was up to the usual standard expected for this type of cruise. Here are some comments on various points related:

Food: Very good. No negative comment.

Food 2: We also had one night at the Pinnacle Grill (extra of $25. per person) for a good steak. Well, the porterhouse is 24 ounces. Unreal. I left half of it, but the quality was excellent. Same for the Lobster bisque and the Alaska cake.

Service: Generally good. However, at the Lido buffet, on 2 occasions, we were looking for space to sit and also saw other people with plates in their hands looking for a table while a section was closed for preparation for the Italian restaurant at night. It was 2 o'clock, well ahead of the night meal.

In room: excellent service.

Entertainment: Having been on other cruises, we believe improvement is needed here. 2 nights of comedy is a lot when many cruisers do not understand English.

Pool: there is one with a rooftop that can close if cold or rainy weather.

I personally was sick one day (diarrhea and vomiting). Had to go to infirmary for pills. I was quarantined in my room for 24 hrs, but not my wife. The next day, I was called 4 times to verify if I was well (probably also to check if I was in the room). The quarantine was lifted after I told them I was OK, which was the case. However, after analysing the reason for this lost day, I suspect that the jacuzzi near the pool is responsible. This is a place where virus can spread around quite fast. I met a woman who had the same symptoms and who had gone into the jacuzzi like me the day before.

All in all, satisfactory cruise for our original purpose.

Publication Date: 12/16/12