Westerdam Cruise Review by yvoyage: RELAXING CRUISE

Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Westerdam Eastern Caribbean Cruises

RELAXING CRUISE

Sail Date: December 2012

We can say that H-A was up to the usual standard expected for this type of cruise. Here are some comments on various points related:
Food: Very good. No negative comment.
Food 2: We also had one night at the Pinnacle Grill (extra of $25. per person) for a good steak. Well, the porterhouse is 24 ounces. Unreal. I left half of it, but the quality was excellent. Same for the Lobster bisque and the Alaska cake.
Service: Generally good. However, at the Lido buffet, on 2 occasions, we were looking for space to sit and also saw other people with plates in their hands looking for a table while a section was closed for preparation for the Italian restaurant at night. It was 2 o'clock, well ahead of the night meal.
In room: excellent service.
Entertainment: Having been on other cruises, we believe improvement is needed here. 2 nights of comedy is a lot when many cruisers do not understand English.
Pool: there is one with a rooftop that can close if cold or rainy More weather.

I personally was sick one day (diarrhea and vomiting). Had to go to infirmary for pills. I was quarantined in my room for 24 hrs, but not my wife. The next day, I was called 4 times to verify if I was well (probably also to check if I was in the room). The quarantine was lifted after I told them I was OK, which was the case. However, after analysing the reason for this lost day, I suspect that the jacuzzi near the pool is responsible. This is a place where virus can spread around quite fast. I met a woman who had the same symptoms and who had gone into the jacuzzi like me the day before.

All in all, satisfactory cruise for our original purpose. Less

Read more Westerdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Westerdam Review >>

Cabin review: Westerdam Standard Interior Stateroom Verandah

We always take verandah room. First time Verandah suite. Very cosy, large bathroom (2 sinks, whirlpool bath plus separage shower). Large balcony (app. 4 x 10). Flat screen TV- 22 inches. Unlike other cruise companies, H-A does not have your account on TV. If you want to know how much you have spent at any moment, you have to go to reception.

Having been there before, we just got out of the ship and walked in the stores area.
Read 3089 Cozumel Reviews

Snorkeling

(4)
Same excursion with Stingray swim. Clear water, many fishes and clear coral.

Stingray Swim

(5.5)
What an experience. You are about 30 minutes by boat from mainland and here you are in shallow sandy water up to your armpits at the most. We were about 30 people on our boat and there was some 7 or 8 other boats. All in circle around an area smaller than a half of a football field. The guides carry some pieces of squid. And here come the rays, swimming between your legs. The guide takes one of them, lift it (app. 3 ft wide) on top of water and you hold it yourself. Fantastic feeling.

Second time here. You just go on the beach, right in front of the ship. Lots of stores, large pool also available (free) and restaurants.

Private island reached by tender. Unbelievable clear and blue water. Beach chairs available for free. Noon buffet barbecue also available. Relaxing day.

We walked around and then took a hop on hop off tour. We made the circuit for 90 minutes. Interesting comments. We never got off ourselves. Then, we walked around the city, particularly on Duval Street. We had lunch in a local restaurant.
Read 730 Key West Reviews

Large city. We just walked around, having been here previously. Nice.
Read 1358 San Juan Reviews

We walked in the ship's area with numerous stores. Then, we took a cab (numerous available) to go to Marigot on the French side. There, we visited the flea market and walked around, sat for drinks in a restaurant, watching people passing by.