Carnival Fascination Cruise Review by SailorMom37: Nice Getaway

Nice Getaway

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Jacksonville

My husband, two teen sons, and I truly enjoyed this five night cruise. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food in the main dining room and the cleanliness of the ship. Our staterooms, while small, were just fine - especially for the price we paid. The weather did not cooperate well with us, but even with the rain, we all had a wonderful time.
Specifics
Entertainment: The cruise director did a great job, as did the rest of the entertainment staff. The comedy was quite funny, but if you see the same comedian twice, much of the show will be repeated jokes. We enjoyed the 1980's revue show on the last night, but I'd say that most of the singing/dancing is pretty, well, ho-hum. There were many opportunities to interact with the staff. On our rainy day in Nassau, I give kudos to them for adding more activities for those of us who were hiding from the rain on the ship.
Teen Club: While the facility itself looks kinda bland, my sons had a great time. More They were in the 15 and up group (Club O2)along with about 13 other teens. Plenty of organized activities, and also a lot of downtime to spent just "chilling" as my kids called it. The counselor was great.
Food: I felt the food in the main dining room was, for the most part, excellent (especially considering the cost of the cruise). We ate there every night. The staff was also great. The buffet was so-so. Kinda hit or miss. Some of the food was either cold or stale, and the scrambled eggs were rather disgusting.
Embarkation: Couldn't have gone smoother. I was very impressed by the efficiency of the staff.
Debarkation: Also - couldn't have gone better.
All in all, we thought the cruise was a great value and had a wonderful time. Less

Read more Carnival Fascination cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Fascination Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Fascination Oceanview Empress R48

R48, Oceanview No complaints. There is a storage room adjacent, but we only heard noise form the room twice. The cabin is very convenient to the forward elevators and we didn't experience any noise issues from that. The only issue of note is that debarkation at ports and on the last day crowds the hallways and stairs right outside the room. The noise at those times can be a bit much, but I would think is only a problem if you're trying to sleep in. It really didn't bother us. R16, Twin Portholes Our teen sons stayed in this room. It was very quiet, clean, ample space. No issues.

We chose to walk around Key West by ourselves. It was sprinkling all morning, but nothing that stopped us from enjoying ourselves. We went to the Mel Fischer Treasure Museum - great place to spend some time. We tasted hot sauces at Peppers of Key West - I highly recommend stopping there. The Hot Sauce #1 is fantastic. We also went to Kermit's Key West Key Lime shop.... yum! Definitely get some of their fudge. The Southernmost point is a nice walk past the Hemingway and Audobon Houses. Lastly, we walked through Mallory Square and stopped at the Conch Shack on Duval and ate Cracked Conch.... delicious and in my opinion, better than conch fritters. Being there from 8:00am to 2:00pm is fine for what we were doing, but an evening stop would have been much nicer. The town is rather sleepy during the day, and most of the action in Key West is after sunset.
Read 730 Key West Reviews

I only gave Nassau a two, but that probably isn't very fair of me. We only spent about two hours on shore. The rain was horrendous. My "2" rating comes from the fact that unless you take a shore excursion, or plan an excursion on your own, there isn't a whole lot to do there for people who are active. We did go to the Straw Market, and visited the Pirates of Nassau Museum (I felt it was rather neat and worth the money and time). After that, we went back on board to eat lunch. by the time we wanted to head back out to visit the Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle, the heavens had opened up again. I think if we had planned a snorkeling excursion, or spent a fortune on Atlantis, we would have enjoyed the port more, but as it was - we enjoyed playing cards and board games in the ships library instead!
Read 2615 Nassau Reviews