Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by Ritzypoo

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by Ritzypoo
Rhapsody of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Member Name: Ritzypoo
Cruise Date: November 2012
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: South Pacific
Cabin Category: JS
See More About: Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Reviews | South Pacific Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
        Under 3 5+
Service Not Rated

Very disappointing
The boarding process was speedy for us as we had priority being in a junior suite, however I did notice long queue's for those not so fortunate.

On arrival in the cabin we were disappointed with the dated and tacky decor, couldn't see any signs of the recent refurbishment other than a new toilet and wash basin. However the most upsetting thing was the absence of the pre-booked cot and high chair for the baby. There then started a 5 hour process to try and get these items into the cabin, three trips to customers service and numerous phone calls, it was just before lifeboat drill around 5pm before we had a cot.The baby was unable to have any sleeps because of this and was so distressed that she did not eat for the next 24 hours and cried constantly. We were planning to leave the ship at the next port, but fortunately things settled down after some sleep the next day. The nursery is not open on the first night and as we had only been able to get 2nd sitting we were now faced with the problem of a screaming baby and 8.30pm dinner. We rang customer service to book a baby sitter and were told we had to book 24 hours in advance (before boarding????). After a heated discussion with customer service they managed to send someone to the cabin so that we could eat.

Once the nursery opened, we were very pleased with the staff there and the general set up and cleanliness,the toy library is marvellous and we borrowed toys and returned them each day. We also took all the food for our 1 year old, as there is no children's menu.

On the subject of food, it is really bad on this ship, after the first lunch in the Windjammer, which had a poor selection of dried out food, we did not eat there again. The main restaurant was little better, everything sounded good on the menu but when it arrived was cafeteria quality, and the deserts everywhere were just awful.We also ate at Giovanni's,which was mediocre, but Izumi was much better and we also had lunch there. The cafe/deli was also disappointing very dry sandwiches, short on fillings and left over cake from the night before. Also here the only rude service on the ship. I would say in 50 years of cruising this is the worst food I have encountered. We cruised earlier this year on Celebrity and the food was wonderful absolutely no comparison.

There was often a smell of sewerage especially around the centrium on deck 8 and the entrance to the dining room on deck 4, I did ask customer service what this was and they said they were discharging into the ocean,however the smell was constant and I hardly think they would be emptying the tanks all the time.

On the subject of service, very friendly and helpful everywhere except Park cafe and customer service, who were the most totally disinterested I have ever come across.

The entertainment was good, quite a young crowd on board and everyone joined in on the party nights.

It is advertised that there are ipads in the cabins since the update, this is not so. We were selected for a trial of one of these on the second last day of the cruise, however we asked to be excluded from this because it was during the baby's sleep. After returning home from disembarkation my husband (who was not on the cruise) received an abusive phone call from someone on the ship demanding we return the ipad immediately or have $1000.00 taken from my credit card. I explained the situation but was told security would be contacted, I had to contact the Company myself, they later called me back and told me customer service had neglected to pass on the information that we were not participating in the trial. Not how most people want to end a cruise!

All in all disappointing except for the nursery. I personally would never cruise again with Royal Caribbean.

Publication Date: 12/13/12