Carnival Magic Cruise Review by pinkanol: Carnival Magic

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Magic

Sail Date: December 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

Before going on our cruise I heard some negative comments about the Carnival Cruise line. After going on our cruise I can say I give the Carnival Magic an A+ rating. It may have had something to do with the time of year we chose to travel but we were not inundated with kids as many of the reviews stated. Our captain was fantastic! We had a medical emergency on board and he had to turn the ship around and head back to Galveston. He was communicating with the Coast Guard for their assistance for an emergency medical evacuation. He also was communicating with the passengers aboard the cruise ship. After the Coast Guard arrived and did the air lift we turned around and made it to our first destination on time. Obviously he had to pick up speed in order to do so. We were on the 8th floor and felt a "little" rocking but nothing too major. I actually thought this is how a baby feels when being rocked to sleep it actually felt rather nice.

The food was fantastic! On the More Lido deck is where we went for breakfast all but one morning. Highly recommend the Omelette Station where they will make you an omelette to order. For lunch you have several options. We had Mongolian BBQ the first day also on the Lido deck. One day we did the Sea Side Grill on deck 5 that was good. We also tried the Cucina del Capitano for lunch one day. This is their Italian Restaurant that is complimentary for lunch but costs extra in the evening - portions were small but the food was very good.
The evening meal we ate every evening in Southern Lights at the early setting. Everything was so good we didn't feel the necessity of going to any specialty restaurants. The only negative comment I heard is if you tried the anytime dining option. People said they had to stand in line too long because if you reserved the early dining option you got seated before any of the anytime diners did.

As far as the entertainment goes we only did the early evening entertainment and everything was excellent. I can not comment on the late evening entertainment.

We booked our shore excursions through Carnival on the internet before leaving on our cruise. This I would highly recommend being several shore excursions were sold out before we even set sail. Also, that meant they were already paid for before cruising - much easier on the budget. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Balcony Verandah 8289

We were in cabin 8289 and thought it was great. We had a private balcony which I wanted in case I didn't want to go to common areas to read while at sea thinking the kids would be too noisy. The cabin was great. I couldn't believe how much storage/closet space Carnival fit in the room. In the bathroom you had 6 glass shelves attached to the mirror for your hygiene items and make-up. They had a magnifying mirror in the bathroom attached to the wall. There is a mini-clothes line in the shower to dry things on. They had a great make-up mirror with lighting in the main part of the cabin. We had three closets in our room, plus 6 drawers, a safe, a refrigerator and extra shelf space. We were not too far forward and between two elevators. Very good location. One thing I had read is to make sure you don't get a room with a connecting door (unless of course you want to). Our room was very quiet.

Sea Trek

(5.5)
In Cozumel we did the SeaTrek with Sand Dollar. I would highly recommend this if you have no experience with scuba diving and want to experience the underwater world. Again, the crew were big on safety. They had several divers down with us and gave us a safety briefing before going down. They will take several pictures and a video of your experience. Pictures are sold on a CD and cash only so again bring extra cash. We got 68 picture for only $35.00.

Stingray Swim

(5.5)
In Grand Cayman we did Sting Ray Sandbar and Coral Swim with Don Foster Dive Co. The Stingrays were awesome. I've heard some comments that there were two many boats out and not enough sting rays. When we went there were maybe 10 boats at the same time we were there. They said there were between 40 - 50 rays in the water. Obviously not as many as there were years ago - but still enough for everyone to get pictures taken with them if you wanted to.

Ziplining

(5.5)
We did the Canopy Tour with Chuka Caribbean Adventure in Montego Bay - very good, the guides were all about safety but the gift shop was overpriced for pictures and t-shirts. They wanted $25.00 for 7 pictures and $17.00 for t-shirts, they would not barter with you either. Jerk Chicken was very good and highly recommended. Jerk Chicken was $8.00 per person and cokes were $3.00 - so make sure you bring enough cash for your lunch.