Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by Eucalypt: Celebrity Millenium from Sydney 22 November 2012

Eucalypt
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Celebrity Millennium Asia Cruises

Celebrity Millenium from Sydney 22 November 2012

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

Boarding. We had splurged for Aqua class tickets and our printout said we could board at 11.30 am .We decided we would go straight from our hotel and find a place to chill out for an hour or so before boarding time .I always like Circular Quay .I am a boat man and I can watch the comings and goings for hours .We were surprised to find a bit of activity at our designated queue line and at about 10.30 it looked like we were going to board.
Processing was quite painless as Celebrity had about 20 stations to take particulars .All went quite smoothly apart for one small exception that my wife discovered and that was that we had been given someone else's onboard passes. The young lady who checked us in was a learner. We went aboard early, why?

On Board .We were given the obligatory glass of sparkling wine as we went on board and sat down to take note of our surroundings .An announcement was made that our cabins would be available at 1.30 pm and that the buffet was open and that More we should explore the ship in the meantime .In due course we learnt that the ship has suffered what was suspected to be cases of Norvovirus on its trip from Hawaii and that the ship was having a major cleanup .That is not the announcement that everyone likes to hear but there is very little you can do about it.It was stressed that strict hygiene should be observed at all times .I couldn'thelp noticing that some people were still blase about washing their hands before eating at the buffet .The clean up was evidently successful because I was not aware of any cases of sickness for the trip.

Cabin .We had originally been assigned cabin no.9100 .After I had a look at the deck layout I requested a cabin change ,which was a wise thing to do .9100 opens onto a staircase and public area and is right up against one of those bulges in the ships side that ensures you have no forward vision .I wondered why they wouldn't issue this cabin as the last one beats me . Our cabin no. 9114 was quite good .Plenty big enough for two people .One small problem was that for our first night we had a double bed instead of two singles as requested. I also have a problem with doonas or duvets ,I find them far too hot.Both problems were rectified .

Eating .We had an Aqua Blue ticket which enabled us to dine at Blu restaurant .The eatery was pleasant, not overly flash but a reasonable place to have a meal in comfort .The service was friendly without being over the top .The servings were not hearty but adequate.
The Oceanview buffet was always fairly crowded. the offering there was the usual for such a venu . The way some people heap up their plates they must have thought it five star .The Metropolitan was the main dining room .We only dined there once and had a good meal .We did not eat in any of the value added restaurants.

Tendering.We tendered at Airlie Beach and at Cairns .At cairns in particular the tendering method caused quite a bit of consternation .The company used on shore contractors which were catamarans some of which held over 500 pax .The contractors would not move without a full boat ,they must have been paid by the passenger,so the loading and unloading took ages .
In Bali we also used catamarans but they were supplemented with ships lifeboats and tendering was no problem.

On Board .We were given the obligatory glass of sparkling wine as we went on board and sat down to take note of our surroundings .An announcement was made that our cabins would be available at 1.30 pm and that the buffet was open and that we should explore the ship in the meantime .In due course we learnt that the ship has suffered what was suspected to be cases of Norvovirus on its trip from Hawaii and that the ship was having a major cleanup .That is not the announcement that everyone likes to hear but there is very little you can do about it.It was stressed that strict hygiene should be observed at all times .I couldn't help noticing that some people were still blase about washing their hands before eating at the buffet .The clean up was evidently successful because I was not aware of any cases of sickness for the trip.

The Oceanview buffet was always fairly crowded. the offering there was the usual for such a venue . The way some people heap up their plates they must have thought it five star .The Metropolitan was the main dining room .We only dined there once and had a good meal .We did not eat in any of the value added restaurants.

Tendering.We tendered at Airlie Beach and at Cairns .At Cairns in particular the tendering method caused quite a bit of consternation .The company used on shore contractors which were catamarans some of which held over 500 pax .The contractors would not move without a full boat ,they must have been paid by the passenger,so the loading and unloading took ages .
In Bali we also tendered and used catamarans but they were supplemented with ships lifeboats and tendering was no problem. Less

Read more Celebrity Millennium cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Millennium Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Millennium 9114

Our original cabin was 9100 .This is a dud cabin and should be avoided at all costs .Our Cabin was 9114 and we were very happy with it.Fortunately I made a change well before sailing. The cabin was well appointed ,quiet and plenty big enough .