Pride of America Cruise Review by Australman

Destination: Hawaii
Cabin Category: B2
        10-12 1.0

PRIDE OF AMERICA
Firstly i will point ot that this was my first cruise since doing a domestic cruise in Australia since 1975.

I took my wife and daughter to cruise the Hawaiian Islands, figured it was the most cost effective and efficient way to see them. I am still of the belief.

We had a 3 day pre cruise stop in Honolulu to make sure we didn't suffer any jetlag.

We joined the Pride of America on Saturday the 24th November at about 1400 after spending the morning visiting Pearl Harbour.

Our cabin was ready immediatly although the bags did not arrive until about 1700-1800.

Upon boarding we enjoyed some lunch and familiarised ourselves with the ship.

Everyone seemed to be enjoying the facilities the ship had to offer from the word go.

I guess as this was my first real cruise i was impressed by the size and the looks of the ship. i had done my home work and read up how others viewed it and took the good with the bad ( Can't keep everyone happy).

Boarding the ship was realitivly easy but thought it may have been a little heavy handed on the security thinking it was only a domestic cruise.

They sure did make sure you didn't bring any drinks on but didn't take too long overall.

The Cabin appeared to be quite nice and presentable, many had written that the cabins were really small but I guess they have never stayed in a Tokoyo Hotel room. We had enough space to put everything and then some left over with the bags under the bed. My daughter used the fold down sofabed the first night due to the fact that I couldn't find the other fold down bunk. When the sofa was folded down it became small especially if you wanted to use the balcony.

Found the fold down buck it was in the roof. Once we got that down it was down for the duration. That gave us access to the sofa for use throughout the cruise and easy access to the balcony.

i did note that there were some signs of wear( minor) on the arm of the sofa, one down light over some shelves was not working and never replaced. Bathroom was of a reasonable size and clean and found it that way throughout the cruise. Bed was good as it was two singles joined together.I found the bed comfortable, my wife didn't like the pillows. My daughter loved the bunk and was up and down all trip it was her little space.cabin was located on the Port side toward the aft. Great location as it was close to the resaurants, 30m to the lift up 2 decks and breakfast or dinner Aloha Cafe, down 3-4 decks to Libery or Skyline Restaurants.

Our steward saw him twice and that was to ask him for something more tissues and pool towel replacement,on both occassions no smile. He did everything we asked but he did not seem a happy chappy.

Many people complained about the service of the crew as they were all US based.

Some crew in the dining rooms seemed enthusiastic whilst others made it an art of looking busy whilst doing nothing and allowing the enthusiastic ones to do everything.

Aloaha Cafe good for a reasoable buffet Breakfast /Lunch /Dinner comparable to a Club/Pub Buffet

Cadillac Diner wouldn't waste your time unless you go for the Brownie sundae but make sure they put ice cream on it because they forgot it when i took my daughter for one.

Liberty Restaurant was a more upmarket restaurant wich offered a better level of food but not as good as I expected ate here twice.

Skyline Restaurant again was something more upmrket virtually the same food as the Liberty upstairs.

Shows were certainly no Las Vegas but entertaining at a minimum seemed to me that as you get older as an entertainer you work on cruises.

The Pool and hot tubs were relaxing and enjoyed them as did my daughter.

The kids club, never heard from them and my daughter didnt go to it found a friend and went from there possibly could have done without the service.

Over all it was a great relaxing time 7 days was not enough to enjoy all the facilities onboard but they certainly did have plenty of activities.

Great sunrise pics and Moonsets

I belive the ship goes in for a refit in March 2013 should bring it up to scratch for those more finiky.

Great cruise about 4 star sailing, would travel with Norwegian again. Maybe to Alaska next time or the Carabbean. Good Sailing

Publication Date: 12/12/12