Pride of America Cruise Review by Australman: PRIDE OF AMERICA

PRIDE OF AMERICA

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Honolulu

Firstly i will point ot that this was my first cruise since doing a domestic cruise in Australia since 1975.
I took my wife and daughter to cruise the Hawaiian Islands, figured it was the most cost effective and efficient way to see them. I am still of the belief.
We had a 3 day pre cruise stop in Honolulu to make sure we didn't suffer any jetlag.
We joined the Pride of America on Saturday the 24th November at about 1400 after spending the morning visiting Pearl Harbour.
Our cabin was ready immediatly although the bags did not arrive until about 1700-1800.
Upon boarding we enjoyed some lunch and familiarised ourselves with the ship.
Everyone seemed to be enjoying the facilities the ship had to offer from the word go.
I guess as this was my first real cruise i was impressed by the size and the looks of the ship. i had done my home work and read up how others viewed it and took the good with the bad ( Can't keep everyone happy).
Boarding the ship was More realitivly easy but thought it may have been a little heavy handed on the security thinking it was only a domestic cruise.
They sure did make sure you didn't bring any drinks on but didn't take too long overall.
The Cabin appeared to be quite nice and presentable, many had written that the cabins were really small but I guess they have never stayed in a Tokoyo Hotel room. We had enough space to put everything and then some left over with the bags under the bed. My daughter used the fold down sofabed the first night due to the fact that I couldn't find the other fold down bunk. When the sofa was folded down it became small especially if you wanted to use the balcony.
Found the fold down buck it was in the roof. Once we got that down it was down for the duration. That gave us access to the sofa for use throughout the cruise and easy access to the balcony.
i did note that there were some signs of wear( minor) on the arm of the sofa, one down light over some shelves was not working and never replaced. Bathroom was of a reasonable size and clean and found it that way throughout the cruise. Bed was good as it was two singles joined together.I found the bed comfortable, my wife didn't like the pillows. My daughter loved the bunk and was up and down all trip it was her little space.cabin was located on the Port side toward the aft. Great location as it was close to the resaurants, 30m to the lift up 2 decks and breakfast or dinner Aloha Cafe, down 3-4 decks to Libery or Skyline Restaurants.
Our steward saw him twice and that was to ask him for something more tissues and pool towel replacement,on both occassions no smile. He did everything we asked but he did not seem a happy chappy.
Many people complained about the service of the crew as they were all US based.
Some crew in the dining rooms seemed enthusiastic whilst others made it an art of looking busy whilst doing nothing and allowing the enthusiastic ones to do everything.
Aloaha Cafe good for a reasoable buffet Breakfast /Lunch /Dinner comparable to a Club/Pub Buffet
Cadillac Diner wouldn't waste your time unless you go for the Brownie sundae but make sure they put ice cream on it because they forgot it when i took my daughter for one.
Liberty Restaurant was a more upmarket restaurant wich offered a better level of food but not as good as I expected ate here twice.
Skyline Restaurant again was something more upmrket virtually the same food as the Liberty upstairs.
Shows were certainly no Las Vegas but entertaining at a minimum seemed to me that as you get older as an entertainer you work on cruises.
The Pool and hot tubs were relaxing and enjoyed them as did my daughter.
The kids club, never heard from them and my daughter didnt go to it found a friend and went from there possibly could have done without the service.
Over all it was a great relaxing time 7 days was not enough to enjoy all the facilities onboard but they certainly did have plenty of activities.
Great sunrise pics and Moonsets
I belive the ship goes in for a refit in March 2013 should bring it up to scratch for those more finiky.
Great cruise about 4 star sailing, would travel with Norwegian again. Maybe to Alaska next time or the Carabbean. Good Sailing Less

Read more Pride of America cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Pride of America Review >>

Cabin review: Pride of America 9654

9654 Great Cabin and location Balcony just the right size. Sufficient storage space close to elevators to access restaurants one way and just a little longer to midships to access Lobby theatres and lifts to disembark. If you have 3 in the cabin would suggest using the bunk that lowers from the ceiling as opposed to using the sofa bed as this does restrict movement when the sofa bed is down. using the upper bunk allows use of the sofa throughout the day and night. They did use the life boat below in Kona for shore excursions this was 3 decks below us just reminded me of the garbage truck in the morning. Had to relax no garbage to put out.

(4)
Enjoyed Hilo and again a car rental to visit the Volcano National Park. Visitors Centre, Lava Tubes down to see the past lava flows toward the coast mind blowing as it covers such a vast area. Continued past the park to Black sands Beach in the Punaluu beach Park. Not the sunniest of days but nice and warm and a few turtles baking on the beach. yes the sand is black and very course. We also proceeded down a little further to Naalehu for the Punaluu Bakery. Great day out. Hilo can be wet as it was for us when we arrived and was cold in the mountains and still a little damp. Take something warm. but make sure you can take it off again later when it gets hot near the coast.
Read 271 Hilo Reviews

(5.5)
Kauai was a place that intrigued me as this is where movies were made. Car Hire day again, through some small historical villages and on our way to Waimea Canyon. We stopped at the old Russian Fort where we met up with the first of the chickens. Chickens what's he on about? During the 1990's there was a hurricane that scattered chickens from a farm all over the island and thats where they are today ALL over the island hundreds and hundreds of them no matter where you go you will find chickens.Anyway just next to the Russian Fort was the landing site of Capt James Cook who landed here in 1778, 8 years after discovering Australia thus my interest. After the Fort we proceeded to the canyon and what a site. Discribed as the Grand Canyon Of the Pacific and Grand it was. The colour was also amazing. Went to a few other lookouts before turning around and heading back to town. Continueing through town we continued North to view lookouts, Lighthouses, Wildlife rufuges. Beaches and the waves that come in on the Northern beaches are great. i could sit and watch them for hours. My Daughter tasted her first fresh Coconut milk straight from the nut here. Day 2 was Chopper day. expensive to say the least but what can I say you live once. This day was packed with Gob smacking beauty we went early and got good weather that permitted us to see the tallest mountain on ther island which is also said to be the wettest place on earth. Jurassic Falls Na Pali Coast and many more inbetween. we Traveled with Mauna Loa Helicopters as this offered a 3 seat chopper and gauranteed to fly weather permitting as we were 3 as were the seats on the chopper. I had heard of people booking but because all the seats were not sold they would not go until they all were. Also there are weight restrictions so if you are a little on the heavey side like some then wit5h this mob no worries they do up to 270lb where some cop out at 240 or 230lb. We loved the chopper flight an hour well spent. i could live here
Read 237 Kauai Reviews

(5)
This was a slowdown and relax day nothing planned. time to get that WiFi again check out a few of the close places to look at. For some reason i enjoyed Kona yet probably did the least here. i just got that feeling that I was relaxed and could really spend some time here. This is a place I would like to return to and spend more time. I believe this is a place if you visited you would go home totally saying that was a holiday.
Read 166 Kona Reviews

Maui, Not what I quite expected. Didn't take a shore excursion from the ship but did our own thing with a car rental. Reflecting on the time available I would not recommend doing "The Road to Hana". As Nice as it was it was a huge day and exhausting if you drive it yourself. Go maybe as far as Twin falls then go to the needle see the south coast or a mountain it would be a better use of time to see more. Lahaina was nice needed more time, we lost a bit due to finding free wifi and taking my laundry to a laundramat as the ship prices were out of this world $4.50 for a shirt and about $2 for an item of underwear, did a whole bag for $9. 40min local bus trip to Lahaina and there was plenty to see wish I had more time.
Read 265 Maui Reviews