Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by lah830: Last minute trip

0 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Last minute trip

Sail Date: November 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

This was a last minute trip. We called three weeks before the date. We got a great deal. We drove the three hours trip to NYC. We arrived early at the port. Check-in was very easy since we arrived early. We were let on the ship around noon.

The service on the Gem was great. We always had good food. We ate the the main dining room several nights. It was great. We loved Moderno's. We also had a great meal at the Orchid garden. The buffet was limited, but reliable.

We choose an inside cabin because we stay up very late. We love a quiet, dark room. Our room was perfect. Our room steward, Gilbert was excellent. I asked him if I could get a different pillow. He was back within the hour.

The entertainment was very good or very bad. The gem dancers which do most of the shows are not that good. It seems like a bad talent show. The shows are the same old shows over and over again. The comedian was wonderful. Very funny guy who was quick with the More audience. The hypnotist was also very funny. The lounge acts were also very good. The NCL shows like Quest, Liar's club, Newlywed game, etc were so funny.

The staff on this ship is excellent. We only had one complaint about a staff member. One of the trivia host was very insulting to the older passengers. She constantly made fun being older. We found this very rude. This same woman talked about herself non stop. The other staff were fun and friendly. Service was always great.

We were lucky enough to have Sinan as our cruise director. NCL.........DO NOT LET THIS GUY GO. He makes the cruise so much fun.

Getting off the ship was a little tough. Hurricane Sandy had caused major damage to the port. We were not able to exit from deck 7. The crew did a great job handling this. They had to move all the passengers and their luggage down three floors. When we exited on deck 4 the elevators in the port had been damaged. There was only one open. The port handled this great. They did everything possible to help us. NCL and the NYC port did a great job under tough conditions.

Overall we had a wonderful cruise. This was my 35 cruise with NCL and as usual we got off the ship ready to booked our next......and we did. Less

Published 12/11/12

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review >>

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Cabin review: I18525 Family Inside

We booked an inside cabin. We know this is a very small cabin. We are never in the room so this does not bother us. Our room was clean, quiet, and dark. We loved it. It is a great deal for the money.

Read All Family Inside (I1) Reviews >>

We arrived at 3 PM. This is a negative since the town closes early. We got off the cruise and were offered a bus tour of old/New San Juan for $20. The tour was a mini bus which was clean and air conditioned. Our driver was wonderful. We stopped several times for photos, drink, or bathroom breaks. The tour was around three hours. I highly recommend this. Worth every dime.
Read 2162 San Juan Reviews

Again we did not book an excursion and were happy we did not. At the port we took a van to the French side to Orient Beach. We paid $6 each one way. It was a short trip and not scenic. We drove through poor towns with such poverty. The beach is beautiful The water was fabulous. When we left the beach the driver wanted $7 to return. When I said we were told $6, the man said "go find that guy then" We walked away. Hw then offered us $6.

I have been to St Thomas many times. I have never been a fan. I just walked around the pier area.
Read 3342 St. Thomas Reviews