Mariner of the Seas 5

Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas

Patthecruiser
Member Since 2009

Overall Member Rating

As a very seasoned cruiser, I know what to expect and typically am not disappointed. I have been on many RCCL cruises and have loved them all, and this one was no exception. The staff was perfect, ship beautiful and maintained in great shape, however, the food in the dining room at dinner was somewhat below satisfactory. I had read reviews prior to going on the ship of people complaining about the food but did not pay much attention to them. We were a party of 10 close friends and everyone felt the same way. The steak was like eating leather with no taste, dinner salads lettuce was wilted, the meat was generally tasteless and tough with the exception of the veal. The soups were outstanding, but overall the rest was poor and bland. This is not true with the Windjammer where the food was outstanding. With that being said, food does not ruin the trip.

We sailed for 16 days and had nothing but outstanding positive experience from the staff. Of all the cruises, I have never seen a More Captain so engaging and social walking around the ship morning, noon and night talking with all the guests. The entertainment was some of the best I have ever seen. I expected to have to endure the Royal Caribbean dancers for 16 nights and this was not the case. They flew in all types of acts that were top Las Vegas quality, some getting standing ovations.

We had the Grand Suite which was a first for us and I don't know how I will ever go back to a regular room. More space than we could use, dual sinks and overall just beautiful.

The service was just outstanding and as a Diamond member the 5:00 pm to 8:30 pm free cocktails are also a great plus. The itinerary was fantastic as we stopped in some very out of the way ports that you normally would not visit.

In closing, I still highly recommend RCCL but they do need to pay a little more attention to the evening dining experience. Less

Mariner of the Seas Cruises to Transatlantic

Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Grand Suite

GS1564
The Grand Suite is very large and well appointed. The bathroom is also very large with dual sinks, full tube and shower and plenty of mirrors. The suite has a DVD player and video games that you can use. There is a nice bar area and plenty of closet space.

Quite a beautiful island with some very nice beaches.

A very ususual island with lava rock. Good wine but not a place I would want to go back and visit.

Scuba Diving
The vendor the ship used was very poor. The dive master could have cared less about the group and did not have safety in mind at all. They could have cared less also if they go us back to the ship on time (ropes were pulled from the dock) and we were the last ones to get on the boat.

Whale Watching
Sailed on a catamaran with all the free beer and wine with great food. Saw tons of whales (no pun intended)

Published 12/11/12

Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review

Mariner of the Seas Cruises to Transatlantic

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?