“Construction Island”

Member Since 2012
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
This was my first time cruising, but not my first time traveling. The ship was clean and the crew was super nice, awesome service and the food was amazing. The only complaint that I have about any sort of service on this ship was that the last night while we were sleeping, one of the room attendants came into our room to lock the minibar. We didn't even hear anybody come in, so it must have been like at 4 am when we were passed out for good; but, sure enough, that sucker was locked when we were up (I guess they have had problems with guests raiding the mini-fridge right before leaving?). Either way, I do not appreciate room service sneaking into my room while I am sleeping...pretty weird. This was my first time to the Bahamas and there were a lot of things that were very disappointing but, since that has nothing to do with the cruise itself, I will leave out my thoughts on Nassau and Freeport and skip straight to Norwegian Cruise Line's "Private Island" or, as we were calling it, "Construction Island". As soon as you step foot on to this island, it is obvious that they are trying to turn it into a Disney type of resort or something with timeshares and all of that gawdy junk. There was construction equipment galore and, yes, they were working while everybody was on the beach doing their thing. They had a whole stage set up there playing music really loud (probably to cover the sound of all of the construction equipment). I'm no scientist, but I knew right away that we were walking around on manmade sand because it felt just like the sand that you can buy at Home Depot to build a kid's sandbox (if not, maybe worse). It was nothing like the beautiful smooth coral sand that was at Freeport. It would have been nice if they had mentioned this construction before we booked this cruise.
Norwegian Sky Cruises to the Bahamas
  • Service
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

Room was easy to get to, decent size, clean.

Port
Freeport seems to have a whole lot of nothing. Lots of abandoned construction projects and a ton of trees. But, if you rent a car and drive around the island, you can find some pretty interesting things. We found a lagoon like beach area that was totally deserted. This was definitely the best part of our trip.
Read 1,075 Freeport Reviews
If there was a 0, that is what I would rate "Construction Island". An absolute waste of time and vacation and an awesome way to ruin anybody with any sort of decent taste's trip. I suppose there are some people who like timeshares and tacky resorts, so I guess that's what they're building here. They really did a horrible job of trying to cover up all of the eyesores of what they are doing to this island. Pretty much, you walk out and see a bunch of brand new beach chairs, a few picnic tables and a tent where they are serving whatever is leftover from the ship and trying to pass it off as bbq. Supposedly there is still wildlife on this island and in the water but who knows how long that will even last.
Port
A total tourist trap bombarded by locals trying to sell their junk. If you are looking to buy souvenirs, this is the place to be. The junk is actually sold at more reasonable prices than most places.
Read 4,116 Nassau Reviews
Published 12/11/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Sky Review
Norwegian Sky Cruises to the Bahamas
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?