Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by portly: Excellent in most ways

Overall Member Rating

Excellent in most ways

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean

All in all an excellent cruise! I took my 81 year old mother as my father recently passed. She did great despite a bad knee and recently bad back. We spent a little extra to get the deluxe veranda suite. It was a flash sale and Well worth it. Great space and extra veranda space! The included Neptune Lounge was good for quick coffee and goodies. The two concierge people went out of their way to help us. Check in at the port was a bit lacking as they wanted us to wait in long lines until I figured out they had no clue that deluxe veranda suites got to go through. No biggie.

The overall service on board from top to bottom was special. The best crew we have encountered. The room stewards great, the manhattan dining room great! All got extra tips.

The main drawback was dining in the Manhatten Room. This was disappointing. The food was hot but some was disappointing. We like seafood on a cruise. The first night I had coho salmon and it was excellent. On a dress up night we More had King Crab which was as tiny as snow crap, a mere appetizer. Next a tough rubbery bland cod. The last formal night a medium size lobster with filet mignon. The filet was nothing more than an eighth of inch thick cut it straight cuts to make it look round. The chicken pho soup I had was nothing but broth with 3 little fingernail sized chicken pieces in it.

Try the Tamarind! The best service, experience and Food ever. We couldnt get in the Pinnacle but had excellent breakfasts there because of our suite. The Room service was pretty good and handy. Skip the omelets. I wouldn't let our food experience discourage you from this great ship. Hopefully you experience is better, we did let them know.

The excursions were fine. The Cayman island trip with the stingrays was canceled because of rough seas but we got a fun little $20. Island tour in town.The catamaran trip in Roatan was awesome, a fun crew. It was raining at first as some canceled, glad we didn't. The snorkeling was much more interesting than in Hawaii.

Awesome, better than Hawaii. The Martha Brae river raft in Jamaica was good, we weren't harassed like others in Jamaica seem to be. The Half Moon Cay island was very nice. The most perfect water you will ever swim in. Rent the clamshell. When leaving Ft. Lauderdale with extra time before getting a plane the Land and Sea tour was pretty interesting seeing these mansions people we have heard of live.

The entertainment, we didn't see much. The Comedy show Murray with his puppet was pretty good.The singers Garage Band show I couldn't stand for over 20 minutes, loud and every song sounds the same. They need much more variety. We missed the lounge acts.

I would sail Holland again, I hope they get better entertainment and improve quality control in their main dining room. The crew was great as well as the cruisers. A beautiful ship and overall great experience! Less

Published 12/11/12

Read more Nieuw Amsterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Nieuw Amsterdam Review >>

Compare Prices on Nieuw Amsterdam Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Cabin review: SA7069 Neptune Suite with Verandah

Room 7069. Awesome room. This is on the starboard side and probably gets more sun than the port side. Stewards Andy and Putu were great. Loved the room, veranda, everything. The Neptune was a nice extra with great concierge service.

Read All Neptune Suite with Verandah (SA) Reviews >>
portly
Member Since 2002
0 Forum Posts
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X