Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by suzrai

Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: Seward
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: 04
See More About: Celebrity Millennium Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

I tried it and I didn't like it
We were looking for a cruise line to frequent and heard that celebrity was good, boy was that wrong in our case! It's been a few months since we went and some of the issues I don't remember but here are a few reasons I am telling my friends to not cruise Celebrity.

First the good stuff. The beef wellington, mashed potatoes and chocolate cake were great. The sightseeing & scenery was everything we'd hoped for however we booked these privately not through Celebrity.

Now some of the bad & ugly:

Cabin. we were greeted with a hot stuffy cabin. We turned the ac down as low as it would go, still hot. Then when we tried to call, the phone didn't work. we had to go to the front desk to tell the staff, still hot in our room, finally on the 3rd or 4th day they fixed the ac so it was comfortable. The phone? We reported it every day. It never worked.

Language. There is a HUGE communication problem. From wait staff to cabin steward they did not speak enough English to communicate. We couldn't even order tomato juice at breakfast because they couldn't understand what we wanted. One night we went to the show and the poor waiter had a deer in the headlights look when I asked what type of light ale beers they offered. I felt sorry for him because he appeared to be embarrassed so I quickly just ordered. He almost ran the other way when he saw us in his section the next night.

Spa. There was an excellent offer for 4 services at a reduced cost. Being a spa gal I booked it! When I got there the special they showed at the desk didn't match the one I'd booked. There was quite a discussion over this at the desk. Fortunately I had the brochure offering the special with me so they could see what had been offered. Even after going to the treatment room the massuse asks me if I want to do only 3, of course not, so before she started she took off leaving me in the treatment room while she went to check on the offer since there was no way she could complete them in an hour. she comes back and tells me she will do all but it will take more than 1 hour. I knew the services took at least 90 minutes, that's why I booked them. The big deal and issue they had was not a pleasant way to start a spa treatment.

Dining room & food It was disappointing over all. First a better breakfast can be had at Denny's. There were other dining room issues but this is one example. One morning we were the last guests seated at one of the big tables. The first ladies seated there were still not served by the time we left. Wait staff not understanding what was ordered was a problem.

So toward the end of the cruise this gentleman comes around to ask how things are going.... we really didn't want to complain but would not lie so we were happy he was called away but he sensed that we had a story and circled back around to talk to us. He asked and we told him there had been issues. He asked for details and we told him. He apologized and said, not to worry he would make sure they made it up to us but nothing was done on the ship, hey a free drink would have been great.

So after we get home we get a call to discuss the issues we listed on the survey. She says she will make it up to us by offering $100 credit on another cruise. I said that would create more good will if she just took $100 off the cruise bill. Of course she can't do that and I told her that what she was offering us was really nothing since that's available just about anytime on the internet. So the next day here comes a standard mass marketing email offering $200 credit per person on the next cruise. So much for Celebrity making it up to us.

Publication Date: 12/11/12
Read the Alaska ports review by suzrai
More Celebrity Millennium Cruise Reviews