Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by brooke1126

Embarkation: Galveston
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

For the most part, excellent!
I sailed Carnival Triumph last week with a group of 13 celebrating my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary. This was my third time on the triumph and going to the same ports; however, the other two times i sailed it was out of New Orleans (the Triumph is now in Galveston).

The week in general was fabulous, and I LOVE Carnival cruising and this does not change that. Our food was excellent all week, our room stewards were FABULOUS (I had Anthony on Lido deck, some family member across the hall had Mr. P and thought he was amazing as well!!).I also wanted to be sure and include a BIG THANK YOU to the DREAM photographers!! We signed up to do a family picture session with them and I cannot tell you how glad we are that we did!! I cannot remember the guy who was the main photographer, but he was amazing!! He was funny and also very patient with our big group of 13 including a stubborn 3 year old and my very opinionated family!! Our pictures turned out SO GOOD, we could not have asked for any better! We ended up purchasing the big package where you get the digital rights...it was a little expensive but not too much more than you would pay at any regular photographer and the pictures were of excellent quality. I would love to see this option on every ship!!

I can never complain about being on a cruise! However, there were a few things that made this week not as great as my other cruises.....Our service in the dining room was TERRIBLE. I am not one to complain and I love Carnival so i would not say that lightly! It became almost a running joke at our table how bad it was going to be that night. I am not even really sure which of the gentlemen assisting with our dinner table was our actual head waiter....there were never introductions made. The guy that passed out our menus and took our order 4 of the 5 nights, though, was awful. He hardly spoke to us at all, other than to say "and for you?" to the next person in line to order our food. Things were wrong several nights for several of us, but we were never once asked once our food was delivered "Is everything alright, do you need anything else," so we literally had to flag someone down if we wanted anything fixed or needed anything. Several nights we sat with empty tea/water glasses for half the meal. Someone at our table ordered a steak every night and each night we asked for steak sauce and it would take so long to get delivered to the table, the steak was either cold or nearly gone because we just went ahead and started eating. We were in the dining room for almost 2 hours each night, also. Normally, i love taking my time as we eat and enjoy the meal and conversation, and I know the kitchen is making food for SO MANY people, so normally the wait does not matter, but when the service is so terrible on top of the wait it gets annoying. As I said before, the food itself tasted wonderful, but the service was terrible. We were in early seating at table 630.... There was one guy who did great for our group, and paid some extra attention to my nephew and also made sure to get his chocolate milk out quickly each night. He is the only one who did a good job and I wish i knew his name so that he is not grouped in with the ones who did a terrible job with our dining. Five of us out of our group ended up going to guest services on the last night and explaining the situation and changing our gratuities. We did not lessen the amount, but did alter it so that the amount that would have gone to the dining room staff went instead to our steward, since they deserved a little extra anyway. The dining staff did still get tipped for over half of our group so it is not like they got nothing for the week, and my sister gave some extra cash individually to the one guy in the dining room who did so good with my nephew each night.

One other thing that was a major complaint for me for the week is that two different nights, while getting ready for dinner, our power outlets went out. The first night I was blow drying my hair and my roommate was using the straightening iron. So, we assumed it was "blown" because we had too many things going. We called down and were told they would send an electrician. We waited around 25 minutes and then both had to go to other family members rooms to get ready. So, the next night, we only plugged one thing in at a time, and I was drying my hair, and the outlet went out again! We called again, and again we waited around 25 minutes before finally just going to a family members room to get ready. In my opinion, this is unacceptable. Especially in the hours before dinner when we have to be somewhere, they should send an electrician immediately, and there is no reason that just using one blow dryer should have blown a fuse or whatever happened to cause the outlets to go out. Thank goodness we had family members on board to go to their room or we would have been going to dinner with wet and unfixed hair!

However, on the positives, the crew that I encountered on every part of the ship (other than our wait staff in the dining room) was wonderful! They were all very friendly, and seemed to go above and beyond to be courteous. We LOVED the comedians in the punchliner! My Grandparents got recognized at the Welcome Aboard show for being the longest married couple and were sent chocolate covered strawberreis and champagne (they were also sent this by John because I mentioned to him about their anniversary, and as I mentioned the DREAM pictures were awesome! I love Carnival and will continue to pick Carnival, and I would still definitely say the week was fun and it sure beat being at work!! But the few complaints I did have were major ones and Carnival needs to address them.

Third time in Progresso. This time, did not go past the straw market actually into Progresso. I do enjoy the little straw market, but the only real reason to go to Progresso is if you want to do the Mayan Ruins.

We took a taxi to Mr. Sanchos resort and had an AMAZING DAY!!! great food and drinks.

Publication Date: 12/11/12