Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by ginger 44: Dreadful experience

Dreadful experience

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Other

We are diamond cruisers with Royal Caribbean and until now have enjoyed our cruising experience with them.
After our recent transatlantic crossing we will never cruise with them again.

The ship was scruffy, the cafe promenade was shut, but none of these things initially put us off.
However 4 days into the cruise my husband came down with the norovirus.
That was bad enough but the way they handled this was a disgrace in my opinion.
Our bathroom and probably our bedroom was highly contaminated due to this illness. However despite the fact that I reported this to management on four occasions, our bathroom was not cleaned until 5 and a half hours after it was first reported to them and only after I personally visited guest services and told them that they were going to be the cause of my getting the noro virus.
Even then they just cleaned the bathroom, not the bedroom.
As predicted I did get the virus.
I did not recover as quickly as my husband because More I have a hiatus hernia, and had to revisit the doctor.
On this occasion they charged me $124 despite it being their fault that I became unwell.
It appears that because I happened to have a hiatus hernia it was my fault that I did not get better quickly enough.

We didn't have any such problems on previous sailings but I guess that you only know how you will be treated when something like this happens and Royal Caribbean, in my opinion have been found severely lacking.
We had no idea that the virus was on the ship until my husband got it and then we were told (not by management}that several people had the virus. To this day we do not know how many, That information was kept well under wraps.
After my husband had got the virus, the captain announced once that a 'few' people on the ship had the virus.

Both my husband and myself are very meticulous about washing hands and using sanitisers. It did not prevent my husband from getting it, and of course I know how I got it.
There was also a chest infection going around the ship and I guess because my immune system was low due to the virus, I also got this infection. This time I had my own antibiotics.
I feel that what I have experienced is down to the money grabbing policy of this cruise line and I will not be making the mistake of risking another cruise with them.

In addition to all this, the entertainment was below par except for the ice show.
I thought the food was of a very poor quality both in the windjammer and the dining room.
I had put this down to my illness and lack of appetite
However several guests that I spoke to said they did not think the food was of a good standard either.
I wrote 2 letters t management whilst on board ship complaining about the fact that our cabin was not cleaned promptly and also that I was charged for my second visit to the doctor.
Both were ignored.
When I got home I wrote to Royal Caribbean about the matter.
That also has been ignored.
I have now decided to make a formal claim against them and I would be interested to know if anyone else suffered the noro virus whilst on board and who may like to also seek recompense for the ordeal.
As far as I was concerned the whole experience was an ordeal not to be repeated. Less

Read more Adventure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Adventure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Adventure of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6

Our cabin was lovely. Good size nice balcony which was just as well considering the amount of time we had to spend there

Quite nice. We took a tour from a local. They took us all round the island for half the price of the ship
Read 801 Antigua Reviews

OK Port. We went into the town Arrecife on the public transport because what the cruise ship was extortionate. It was a few euro cent. We got a taxi back which was very reasonable maybe 6 dollars. It was a typical Spanish resort. Nothing much more to add

My husband was ill so we did not get off the ship. it looked very nice

Funchal is very nice. However it rained heavily when we were there. We had previously taken a tour form one of the taxi drivers when on another cruise and had seen the sights. it is much better value that any ships tour

Good for jewellery shopping. We had hired a car on a previous trip and toured the whole island. had lunch in the french bit and went to the beach, this time we just had a look around the town. Except for the beach and jewellery not much else to see

Lovely island . We have been there several times. Again the taxi driver tours are much better value. Santa Cruz itself is a lovely town, There is a tram for a few euros you can go up to another town which is beautiful but the name escapes me
Read 208 Tenerife Reviews