Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by seagypsea

Norwegian Sun
Member Name: seagypsea
Cruise Date: November 2012
Cabin Category: BD
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
11/25-12/5 NCL Sun
This was a great trip for us. I loved the layout of this ship. The buffet lines are well designed and flow well. It was never really crowded except on sea days and even then there are 5 different lines/areas. There are 5 stations where you can get eggs cooked to order, plus several waffles stations. Ice cream was free!

We ate at most Specialty restaurants.

Le Bistro - we ate here the first night. It was just OK for me.

Italian - we ate here twice. Service was awesome, food - not so much. On the Spirit we got plates of antipasto before our meal. Not on this ship and the appetizers and entrees really weren't that good - mostly because the food was overcooked. My husband had the carbonara both nights and said it was excellent. I had the lobster ravioli the first night. Couldn't eat it. Got the chicken parm instead. It was OK. Ordered that again the second time and it was burned on the edges. My friends eggplant was rolled and deep fried and it was also burned on the edges. The bruschetta is pretty tasteless. My husband did like the calamari.

Steakhouse - I got the filet and lobster. Both perfectly cooked. No complaints here!

Brazilian style (Moderno)- My husband loved this place. I only liked the filet and it was a long time getting there so not as enjoyable for me, but if you like this kind of thing, try it. It has an upscale salad bar. They bring sides to your table (mashed potatoes, rice, black beans, fried bananas). They come around with skewers (slowly). Our first was chicken wrapped in bacon, then it was pork ribs, then beef ribs, then finally 2 kinds of filet (both were awesome), then lamp chops, then sausages. So if you are willing to try everything it probably moves along, but if you're like me then it was a long wait in between courses.

Teppanyaki - This was great. You get the Japanese hibachi show plus food. I got the shrimp and scallops - they were excellent.

Main dining room - we only ate there once and it was good.

Coffee bar - I usually get a coffee card on a ship. This one doesn't have them. Just as well. My first cafe latte was so hot it tasted burned when it finally cooled off enough for me to drink it. First and last cup of coffee on this ship.

Overall the food ranged from excellent to OK, but we felt it was better than average.

I was concerned about our cabin (8075) because it was over the Stardust Theater but it was not a problem. You could hear the noise but there was only an hour rehearsal in the afternoon (and most of the time we weren't there) and then the shows were 7:30-8:30 and 9:30-10:30 then it was quiet.

Some good entertainment, some so-so. The crew is outstanding, a reflection of it's management. The hotel director, Steven, is everywhere. We thought he had cloned himself 10 times. We saw him do quite a few jobs on the ship (like serve ice cream and champagne, welcome us back onboard) and it was always with a smile. The cruise director, JC, is also a hoot!

I would go on this ship again and again, but alas, it is moving to Alaska.

Publication Date: 12/10/12