Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by seagypsea: 11/25-12/5 NCL Sun

1,224 Posts

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Eastern Caribbean Cruises

11/25-12/5 NCL Sun

Sail Date: November 2012

This was a great trip for us. I loved the layout of this ship. The buffet lines are well designed and flow well. It was never really crowded except on sea days and even then there are 5 different lines/areas. There are 5 stations where you can get eggs cooked to order, plus several waffles stations. Ice cream was free!

We ate at most Specialty restaurants.

Le Bistro - we ate here the first night. It was just OK for me.

Italian - we ate here twice. Service was awesome, food - not so much. On the Spirit we got plates of antipasto before our meal. Not on this ship and the appetizers and entrees really weren't that good - mostly because the food was overcooked. My husband had the carbonara both nights and said it was excellent. I had the lobster ravioli the first night. Couldn't eat it. Got the chicken parm instead. It was OK. Ordered that again the second time and it was burned on the edges. My friends eggplant was rolled and deep fried and it was More also burned on the edges. The bruschetta is pretty tasteless. My husband did like the calamari.

Steakhouse - I got the filet and lobster. Both perfectly cooked. No complaints here!

Brazilian style (Moderno)- My husband loved this place. I only liked the filet and it was a long time getting there so not as enjoyable for me, but if you like this kind of thing, try it. It has an upscale salad bar. They bring sides to your table (mashed potatoes, rice, black beans, fried bananas). They come around with skewers (slowly). Our first was chicken wrapped in bacon, then it was pork ribs, then beef ribs, then finally 2 kinds of filet (both were awesome), then lamp chops, then sausages. So if you are willing to try everything it probably moves along, but if you're like me then it was a long wait in between courses.

Teppanyaki - This was great. You get the Japanese hibachi show plus food. I got the shrimp and scallops - they were excellent.

Main dining room - we only ate there once and it was good.

Coffee bar - I usually get a coffee card on a ship. This one doesn't have them. Just as well. My first cafe latte was so hot it tasted burned when it finally cooled off enough for me to drink it. First and last cup of coffee on this ship.

Overall the food ranged from excellent to OK, but we felt it was better than average.

I was concerned about our cabin (8075) because it was over the Stardust Theater but it was not a problem. You could hear the noise but there was only an hour rehearsal in the afternoon (and most of the time we weren't there) and then the shows were 7:30-8:30 and 9:30-10:30 then it was quiet.

Some good entertainment, some so-so. The crew is outstanding, a reflection of it's management. The hotel director, Steven, is everywhere. We thought he had cloned himself 10 times. We saw him do quite a few jobs on the ship (like serve ice cream and champagne, welcome us back onboard) and it was always with a smile. The cruise director, JC, is also a hoot!

I would go on this ship again and again, but alas, it is moving to Alaska. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Norway Deck 8075

Cabin 8075 - Balcony cabin, Category BD, Starboard side, Aft. Great layout, lots of storage. Bathroom has 3 built-in shelves on each side of the sink for storage. Closet has hanging space and there are also fold down shelves with additional hanging space, plus shelves on the side and wire baskets. Beds were firm and fairly comfortable. Balcony had 2 chairs and a small round table and was a little larger than normal. This cabin is over the Stardust Theater. You can hear the noise from the theater, but it wasn't much of an annoyance because it wasn't used that much. Afternoons there was an hour rehearsal and then a show at night from 7:30-8:30 and 9:30-10:30. We weren't in the cabin much when it was in use and when we were it didn't really bother us and I would book it again.

Catamaran Tour

(5.5)
We took the 5 Star Tiami Catamaran excursion. I cannot say enough about how great it was. The crew was fantastic. We hugged the shoreline on part of the sail and the captain told us all about the homes and condos on the coast. On our snorkel stop we swam with the turtles. They served a lunch onboard of fish, bbq chicken, rice, a pasta casserole, bean salad and regular salad. In the morning when we boarded they had coffee, pineapple, orange and apple juice and water. After lunch we headed to a beach stop and they rolled out the liquor. The bar has these poles and the bottles hook upside down to it and it is dispensed from there. This is the first trip like this that had a real bar and would make anything you wanted and didn't have pitchers rum punch. They also put out lemon and chocolate cake. Our beach stop was fantastic - beautiful clear water. I didn't want the day to end. I most definitely recommend this tour.

Beach Break

(4)
We did the Waterfall and Beach break tour. It was a LONG ride to the waterfall so we got a partial island tour thrown in. We also stopped part of the way there at a roadside stand/waterfall overlook. It was a 15 minute HIKE to the waterfall. I wore my flipflops. I must have missed the wear your tennis shoes or water shoes part! Two thirds of the way there it began to get muddy and steep. It was very treacherous from that point. We did make it down to the falls and got in the water (very COLD) and managed to make it back to the bus. After that it was a LONG ride to Mero beach, which is black sand and very HOT. The water was very clear and there is a place with drink and food. Again, we still enjoyed the excursion but next time will take a taxi directly to Mero beach.

We did the beach break excursion to Reduit beach. We had a great bus and guide. It included 2 chairs and a drink. Umbrellas were $5. Lots of watersports were available. A restaurant with showers was onsite. We did something called the Great Big Mable which was like a big inflated chair towed by a boat at a fast speed and it was a blast. We were there for almost 3 hrs. It was a great day, but again next time we will just take a taxi there and not pay the $70 excursion fee.

Catamaran Tour

(4)
We did the Maribella Catamaran tour. They took us all the way down the coast to the French side and then turned around and came back. We stopped for a snorkel tour. Not much fish or coral but a great place to hang around on a noodle for awhile. Then we went to a beach. The crew set up a Bocci ball tourney. We just stayed in the water. They served snacks in the form of a baguette with cheese and ham, they also had chips and salsa, crackers and cream cheese and fruit. Drinks were rum punch (weak), rum and coke, beer. We stopped in front of the airport so we could see a plane land and takeoff. The crew again was good. However the "spokesman" became very annoying. He kept repeating things over and over because he was going to quiz us at the end and award prizes. He was trying to hard to get us all into partying mode and quite frankly we just weren't the loud and noisy crowd. Overall it was still a good excursion.

Beach Break

(4)
We took a high speed private ferry to St. John directly from downtown Charlotte Amalie as we were anchored and tendered to the port. It was a fast bouncing ride but we enjoyed it. At arrival we got into an open air transport to Trunk Bay. Sea conditions were a little wavy, but the beach was as beautiful as ever. I gave it a 4 because we did not have much time at the beach. I wouldn't do this excursion again because of that but in fairness we had a good time - just not enough of it.