Crown Princess Cruise Review by ingreece: Lovely Thanksgiving getaway

Lovely Thanksgiving getaway

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

This cruise was a last minute booking for us. We were delighted that it ended in Athens, Greece where we live. The Crown Princess is an absolutely gorgeous ship and many fine touches are there to make you feel special. I don't like the fact that there is no indoor pool though. That would have been very nice because the weather in November in the Med is not pool weather. The kids program was very nice and our son enjoyed his time there. We have been to all of the ports before so our goal with this cruise was to enjoy the ship, service and family time. I'm the one who ventured out on my own for most of the ports and that was ok. Dining on the ship was lovely and Thanksgiving was absolutely terrific. We loved the outstanding service in the dining room. The food was very good though I wouldn't recommend fish other than salmon. The desserts were always wonderful as was the bread.

The cruise director Sam tried hard but really needs to get some new material. She told a More set of jokes I've heard at least four other times about the "dumb questions cruisers ask."

Our cabin was very nice but the only problem was that the cabin steward had such a huge load that our cabin often was not done up until late in the afternoon and late in the evening. This did not work well for us. But, I give him credit for getting our mattress changed out for us. It was in horrible shape and I can't believe wasn't changed before.

I know Princess is supposed to have the best onboard shopping but I didn't think so. Their sales weren't very good and I really didn't find much that I wanted or needed. I'm really into onboard shopping so this was unusual. Carnival Breeze had much better shopping in my opinion.
I like the Piazza idea but not the fact that seating is limited to those who buy beverages. It is therefore not easy to enjoy the entertainment there unless you are willing to pay for drinks. Well, you can stand.

Also, we had our teeth whitened and just to warn you... it is a bit of a gimmick. Yes, our teeth were a bit lighter but the technician tried to sell us $400 worth of capsules so that the results would stick. We were disappointed and would not recommend it. Less

Read more Crown Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Crown Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Crown Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe

What can I say about Athens? I love this city! I have lived here for four years and it is a fantastic place full of history, culture and wonderful people. Be careful of your personal safety and enjoy the top sites such as the Acropolis, National Arch. museum and Plaka. Shop, shop, shop because the Greek economy is in ruins. Please come and help out the Greeks. They will be so grateful.

Ephesus

(5)
This was my forth time to Kusadasi. I love Ephesus so much and this time I got to see the Terrace Houses. Ephesus Shuttle was excellent and they didn't force us to shop at a carpet store which made me happy. The vendors around Ephesus are obnoxious and I had to tell one guy to leave me alone because he kept saying he was Brad Bitt and I was Angela Jolie. Ick! Be firm and bargain hard if you want to shop in Turkey, especially for carpets. They love people who have no idea how to bargain. Get some idea online and get them down at least 70 percent or you're getting ripped off.
Read 80 Ephesus Reviews

Temple of Artemis

(3)
This is kind of a funny place because there is only one column left but you can see the Christian church and a mosque in the background. It was pretty but you only need about 5 min. here.

Terrace Houses

(4)
Very interesting because of the gorgeous wall decorations. Were rushed through by another tour group behind us and didn't like that. Worth seeing.

Island of Delos

(4)
I loved Delos very much and the guide was knowledgable however I was really sad that we did not get to go inside the museum on the island because it was closed. Fantastic place and you should see it sometime. Delos was a very sacred place to the Ancient Greeks and was once a great city.

Naples is edgy and lively. Be careful but enjoy it. Walked to the National Arch. museum (which I have been to numerous times) and enjoyed the treasures from Pompeii and many gorgeous statues. It is a must see in Naples. The street scene is a lot of fun too and enjoyed some pizza while people watching. DON'T fall for the cheap ipod or iPads being sold near the port. (Not that I did) but just warning you. Be leery of prices that are too good to be true because they will give you a box with a piece of wood in it or something like that.
Read 647 Naples Reviews

There is a reason that Santorini is on so many of the brochures for cruises. It is so gorgeous and unique. We rented a car for the day and went to Akrotiri for a look at the ruins then to the black sand beach near the airport and then off to Oia for lunch and to take photos. Fantastic day, barely any tourists and loved the donkey rides up and down the caldera. It is a safe place, the prices are higher than other places in Greece but I think it is worth it. I have been to 10 Greek islands and this is my favorite!