Carnival Glory Cruise Review by ballouw

Cruise Date: November 2012
Cabin Category: 1A
        7-9 4.0

Carnival Glory November 25th - December 2nd
We are a family of three, Myself, Wife and daughter who is 7 years old. We have been on a total of 8 cruises and think they are a good way to spend a vacation. We always arrive into our port of call early to check out the sites and just in case delays with the flight. Before our cruise we went to the everglades and took an airboat ride and watched alligator handling. They both were very enjoyable and would recommend.

This was our second time aboard the Carnival Glory and second time with the itinerary of Cozumel, Belize, Rotan and Grand Cayman. We rented a car and I dropped my wife and little one off at the port and I took the car back to the rental company and caught the shuttle back to port. Getting on the ship was simple there was no issues. I would recommend that you pre-register online as that seemed to make things go smoothly. Once on board the first thing I wanted to do was try a Guy's burger. Wow these are good burgers. During the whole trip we never found the line too long or any difference in the taste but they did keep running out of Ketchup and Mayonnaise. My wife only eats a hamburger with Ketchup, Mayonnaise & Cheese and I would say out of our 7 day cruise she had to wait almost every time she went to use the dispenser. It was a nightmare trying to find someone to help you and when you did they would say they will notify them and it would take a while (more on service later). We found the rest of the food good not great but good. I should also point out that we do not do any of the paid dining. I am ok with good food because that is what I expect and understand that the great food would be in the paid dining. My complaint on the food is that it was never open. They have a new burrito station as part of the new upgrade but it is only open from 12 to 2:30, and I think a couple of port days it was open until 3:30. I never did get to try a burrito as I could never get there before they closed. I was real disappointed with this. Guy's was open from 12 to 6pm so there're really no issues on it being open. The buffet barley had both sides open at a time and would seem to close at the most inopportune times and the fish and chips station was hardly ever open. I ate there once and it was good and would have liked to eat there other times but always closed. The sit down dining was good and we enjoy them but they do tend to take too long so we only ate there a few times. We ordered the soda card for my daughter and she had a hard time getting people to fill her cup. It seemed that they did not want to mess with her unless she was buying alcohol so they could get there tip. On other cruises we have never had a problem with this like we did this time.

On the entertainment we found it to be good. We like to attend all of the shows as we find them very entertaining. They have changed their show which uses more of a video board for background, which I liked. My wife did comment that they do not have the big flamboyant costumes which she likes. The costumes they used seemed more practical and didn't' require much changing as they appeared to be dressed in layers. I didn't mind and understand this. The George Lopez comedy is ok but I really wasn't all that impressed. The first two at the beginning of the cruise I thought where a joke and where not funny. The last two we enjoyed and wished they would have been on at first. They switch out the comedians at a port which I guess is something new. The choice for activities I found very lame and not what I am used to when cruising. There were not many organized activities on the lido deck they did have some down by the casino (imagine that) which I avoided because it was way too smoky. At times I found myself searching for something to do. My wife is ok lying out in a chair but I can't stand to sit there for too long. I will say that camp carnival for kids is top notch that is one thing that has not changed and had improved. My daughter loved going and would always request to go. She mad many friends and had plenty of activities for her. The movies showed out on the deck where ok once and let me emphasize once but they kept repeating the same movies no variety. They only showed movies on a few of days, which they should have had more. I could understand if maybe they had an activity going on but they did not it was dead on the lido most evenings. The hot tubs where cold, we only found one that was warm not hot but warm. We were told the heating elements were not working, which you would think would be fixed sense they were supposedly new hot tubs and have been moved. I did enjoy the new EA sports bar very nice good place to watch the game or play a video game if you choose to. I would recommend that Carnival get more organized activities not just located around the casino and a better cruise director. We found him out of touch.

The port of calls where nice but we never made it to one on time. Wait I take that back we made it back into Miami ahead of schedule. Every port we were late getting there. Usually we purchase our own excursions from locals when we get into port. But for the first time sense our first cruise did an excursion through the ship on grand cayman (stingray & Turtle farm) as my wife wanted to make sure and not miss because you got to hold some turtles. This will be the last time I use Carnival way overpriced and groups are way to big no personnel attention. If we hadn't been to Stingray city before we would have not known what to do. I am thinking about requesting my money back but I we did enjoy the turtle farm. Carnival has built their own port for Rotan and I did not like it. It takes you completely away from the local ambience of Rotan. They keep you in their own shops and beach and charge for everything. We walked out of the compound and got a taxi from the locals to go to the local beach and downtown where the old port is. I personally think you miss out in there new port. We had a good time in Rotan and had a great taxi driver. The other ports where good and we had a good time.

Over all we had a good time as I personally think it would be difficult not to as you are on vacation and in the Caribbean. I do feel I should point out that we were disappointed with the level of detail and service now being given on Carnival. This is not what we are accustomed to and like. I saw a lot of staff standing around talking amongst themselves which I understand but not when it is busy, and hot tubes don't work or I need something. They did not seem like they wanted to help. I also did not know my cabin steward's name until the 3rd day in the cruise. I think that is bad. Carnival has also done away with their loyalty program and now tries to get you to sign up for a credit card. They were not pushy on it but it is of no benefit to keep our loyalty. We talked to many quests and we found we were not alone Carnival has gone downhill and did not meet there expectations. Before our cruise was over we decided that it will be awhile before we go back to Carnival. We will choose another cruise line next year as Carnival has lost a customer.

Publication Date: 12/05/12