Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by aimelearning

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by aimelearning
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: aimelearning
Cruise Date: November 2012
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: 03
Dining 5+

Celebrity Summit to the Southern Caribbean (8/10)
We knew that the Summit had undergone renovation earlier in the year and were really wowed by our cabin. We loved the wood and colors that had been chosen. The cabin seemed so much bigger than it was, due in large part to the floor-to-ceiling mirrors opposite the bed. Everything was tastefully done. We were also impressed with the amount of storage space. We were able to stow our suitcases (all 4 of them) under the bed. And there were plenty of drawers and hangers.

As for the rest of the ship it was a mixed bag. We noted right away the appearance of the carpeting. In many places it appeared that the carpeting had gotten seriously wet, or stained. I didn't reach down and feel it so I can't be certain. In any case it was surprising. I also noted some loose carpeting under one of the stairways midship, between decks 5 and 6. We didn't have anything to compare it to so we don't know how extensive the renovations were. Aside from some maintenance to a door here or something there, the rest of the ship appeared to be in very good shape. And very clean.

We were impressed with the food on our previous Celebrity cruise and it was even better on this cruise. From the buffet to the main dining room to the upscale Normandie restaurant everything was delicious, well-presented and portioned just right. And of course the service was top-notch. Only on formal nights did service slow down a bit. But it was understandable and not a big deal. I was a little annoyed with the selection at the buffet during the day. There was a lot of high-end food, more appropriate to dinner than lunch. Or there was mediocre (at best) pizza, burgers or paninis. I wanted a deli with sandwiches. Lunch food. I was also mildly surprised that the international choices were limited to Asian and Italian. Where's the Mexican? I would've loved some chips and salsa! But these are minor annoyances and may be limited to myself. My wife loved the salad bar and the fresh produce! The brunch, held in the main dining room on sail day, was one of the finest we had ever had. The choices were endless, everything we ate was phenomenally good, and the presentations were spectacular. Just awesome.

I should note that we opted for Select Dining this time instead of one of the two standard dining times. We both thought it was handled well, that our service was excellent, and that we will make use of this in the future. We liked the flexibility of dining when we wanted to and learned that we like to dine at about 7pm instead of the 8:30pm we had always done. We also liked being able to sit at a table for 2, often upstairs overlooking the downstairs area. We had had less than a good table experience on the last cruise which had added a level of stress to our trip. We experienced no such stress this time.

I can't really comment on the shows or the casino as we didn't make much use of these. I can say that the Celebrity Theater is beautifully done.

We never felt crowded on board, though it appeared that the ship was full. Embarkation and disembarkation was always smooth and quick. The final disembarkation was very quick and easy, probably due in large part to the fact that we booked an excursion in San Juan for Saturday morning. Speaking of shore excursions, we only booked two through Celebrity but both were well-done. The excursion staff was very helpful. We booked tours with third parties on St. Kitts, Dominica and Grenada, and did our own thing on St. Croix. I know we saved money by doing this and we saw much more of the islands, and did more, than we would have been able to do had we booked through Celebrity. We will continue to book using third parties in the future.

This was one of our best and favorite cruises. It would have rated as THE best had it not been for the few things noted above and also for the itinerary. We think that St. Croix and Grenada could be dropped for possibly St. Maarten and Barbados, for example. St. Croix offered very little, in our opinion, and Grenada was less than spectacular, along the lines of Antigua. That said, it was a great cruise and our opinion of Celebrity has not changed. It is a top-notch cruise line, and we will continue to sail on it.

Publication Date: 12/05/12