Grand Princess Cruise Review by RoePost: GRAND PRINCESS -- Nov 17, 2012

GRAND PRINCESS -- Nov 17, 2012

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Other

Little background on us... We are a married couple just entering seniorhood! We are elite Princess members...however this was our first time on the Grand Princess. After our Princess cruise we are going down the pier to travel on Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas for another week... RC not our favorite but Allure and Oasis are ships everyone should experience and we like to try different cruise lines whenever we can..

Our week on the Grand started off real well with a phone call few days before we left to offer us a free upgrade from a balcony on Baja to a mini suite on dolphin deck..of course we agreed and although we prefer a covered balcony..we really appreciated the extra room and spacious bathroom.. First time we have been given an upgrade.

Embarking was a little late caused by the fact that the Grand just returned from Europe and needed some extra time to clear customs...however once started it was quite efficient and we were on board in 15 More minutes....I believe boarding started at noon...

The ship is in excellent shape after its 65 million dollar makeover and would not hesitate to sail on her again... Won't review the ports since we have been to them many times and only stepped out for some brief shopping...

We found the food on the ship was consistently good to superior...no specialty restaurants this trip but the dining room food was excellent...I don't think the new menus are any better or worse than the old ones..we had any time dining and ate early each night..I did notice lines for the dining room starting at around 7 o clock. There were no nightly reservations taken for tables for two but if you wanted to keep the same table all week that could be arranged..

Love the creme brulee desert..the fettuccine alfredo...and the peanut butter Oreo chocolate pie! Not a big beef eater so really cannot comment on it but husband and others seemed to be satisfied with the beef dinners. Tried Alfredo's pizzeria...it was excellent good hot tasty pizza...reommend it to everyone! Princess has the best pizza of any Cruiseline in my opinion...buffet was the usual fare, but always lots of variety and tasty choices....

Entertainment consisted of three production shows...Motor City....Do You Wanna Dance...British invasion. British Invasion was terrific...the other two were old and familiar to us.. We were lucky enough to have Sarge for two Shows ..we have seen him a number of times..he is my favorite Princess comedian...the other entertainers were a ventriloquist ...he was vey talented but didn't care for his material....and a magical comedian that we didn't like at all..just too zany for us! Oops, almost forgot to mention Maurizio was in the Crooners Bar
and also did a little show in Explorers Lounge one night! He is just as entertaining as ever...

The entire crew was always helpful, smiling and friendly....the cruise director, Billy London was by far my least favorite CD of any Princess cruise...never saw him around the ship..just a few minutes to introduce the shows...he delegated all the other activities to his staff who were very good. My favorite CD is RonGoodman,,,by far one of the best.

Surprisingly, no football shown on this cruise..even being Thanksgiving week....not much at all on the MUTS screen during the day ...seems they didn't take advantage of it...only one game on the Cabin TV Thanksgiving day and one Sunday night. If I remember correctly.

The tendering process at Princess Cays was somewhat chaotic...many grumbling passengers...long lines for tender tickets and long waits...many announcements from the staff apologizing for the long delays...I believe it was about 11 30 by the time it eased up.

Movies in the afternoon in princess theatre were Belle Island with Morgan Freeman, People Like us,,, the Exotic Marigold Hotel.....dont remember the others...

Debarking was easy and quick.....and we grabbed a cab and ran down the pier to Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas to start another great 7 days...I will try to get a review of The RC boards soon! Just as a quick note...the Oasis has MANY, MANY, MANY more activities...the entertainment on Oasis is far superior to Princess. In my opinion Princess food is far better...but the specialty restaurants on Oasis are very good and their are more food choices on Oasis. Also seems like princess is now entertaining an older crowd. Oasis has many visitors from other countries with lots of languages heard all over the ship..

Be happy to answer questions if I can...sorry I have no pics..been on many Princess cruises and have given up taking pics! All in all it was a good cruise with smooth seas except for our last night on board when the winds kicked up and the seas had us bouncing around for a few hours.....Princess still remains our favorite but would like to see them kick up the entertainment options a bit! Less

Read more Grand Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grand Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Grand Princess Mini-Suite with Balcony Emerald Deck

Mini Suite has lots of room and a great bathroom with a tub...the balcony on Dolphin deck is open not covered...