Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by skidaddy74012: NCL Sky not up to expectations

skidaddy74012
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

NCL Sky not up to expectations

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Bahamas

Lets start at the first. I was steered to one of the most expensive cabins at first. Upon 2nd call I reached someone who was more helpful and did not try to sell me the moon. Up until the cruise, NCL was most helpful. Upon check in, this was the fastest a checkin we have ever had. One person ahead of us. I thought we would have the cruise to ourselves. The person checking in was all business, no southern hospitality. Bim Bam but we got through quick. Our stateroom was ready at 1 p.m. which was surprising. State room was clean and looked good. The TV remote batteries were dead (the cabin steward immediately went and got new batteries) .The A/C did not work (cabin steward immediately had this fixed while we were out the next day. Told us the electrician who recently did rewiring forgot to hook up our unit), and the bathroom smelled of urine with the floor being sticky (we told the cabin steward and the bath floor was cleaned the next day, problem solved). Our room was well serviced More twice a day, ice brought in, and towel animals on the sheets at night to greet us.
The food was good, but no real variety. The menu stayed the same every day. We ate a lot of steak. The service in the dining rooms was very slow. Upon ordering at 2 p.m. the first day for lunch, it took over an hour. I thought "Well, they are just getting their serving legs". Not so. One night it took 2 hours for a 3 course meal. Slow service all the way up to the disembarkation morning which did go fast. They wanted us out of there.
The deck was being redone on the pool floor. About an eighth of the floor was under construction. The noise of hammers and such was very annoying and unpleasant. I cut my foot on a screw or something on the drain cover on one of the hot tubs. It bled. I told a man in a uniform and he said he would have it looked at. I went to the infirmary and inquired about getting some kind of disease and was re-assuredly told not to worry. I saw another hot tub drained on the cruise, but not the one that had a sharp object in it. The casino had a choking amount of smoke in it. The shows were good. We learned salsa dancing. The night in Nassau they had a white hot dance that was good.
The employees do not speak English very well. One time at the dinner table I made and order, the guy nodded, and I did not get the right order. Communication was a little strained. I never saw one American employee. Sad.
The winds came up about 11:30 while at the white hot party. The waves started getting very rough. Why the captain did not turn around puzzles me. (I am sure NCL did not want to pay another port fee) You see, we were headed to the NCL private island, which required tendering. At 3a.m, I woke up and saw huge waves and I knew we would not be tendering. At 8 a.m., they made an attempt to tender, which I think was just for show. The Captain then announced the seas were too rough to tender and we would have a day at sea...I did not pay for a day at sea, the reason I took this short direct cruise! The captain had to have know about the seas. He could have spent another day at Nassau or Freeport, but no.
As to snorkeling in late November, the water is cold! They said 75 degrees. Being from the deep South, that is cold water. Glad we brought shorty wet suits! Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky 9208

Great cabin. Enough room. Enough light. Great Steward. Not as noisy like an inside cabin we once had. We could hear the crying child next door. Not as great as the balcony cabins, but hey, priced right.