Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by marklarson

Cruise Date: November 2012
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: ins
See More About: Carnival Breeze Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Serioulsy Carnival? Shame on you . . .
Fairly new to cruising having taken our first cruise just under two years ago, but we have caught the bug and this was our seventh cruise now in this timeframe. Our second with Carnival. Our other five were with Royal Caribbean. Our first Carnival experience was our only bad one, but thought we would give

them a second chance. There will NOT be a third one ...

First time reviewer here. I felt it my DUTY to register and post this review for all to see. It would be a disservice for me to continue reading all the great info here at cruise critic without contributing

to assist future cruisers.

I feel that I could rant on typing for the next hour, but I will spare you all the gory details, and just touch on the major ones. The service on the Breeze was by FAR the worst my wife and I have ever seen.

First the pluses.

+ Beautiful new ship, with that new ship smell. Clean. A bit hard to navigate. Why on earth they don't have a royal promenade like RC's biggers ships, I will never understand.

+ Comedy club & shows. Nothing real special, but acceptable. Thrill theater was reasonably priced. when you get the 14.95 ticket for all shows, and was enjoyable.

+ Embark and debark were smooth and trouble free.

+ A "few" of the entertainment staff made some events more enjoyable.

+ Speaking with many others that were horribly dissapointed in this cruise and Carnival. Hey

at least it was nice that we were not alone, and that is a positive.

I'm searching for more things to spark my memory for pluses, but honestly I believe that was all.

Now the major negatives.

- Service. Or lack thereof. From our room attendant, to the dining staff, to the drink servers on down. 95% of them were just truly unprofessional, and simply did not care to even pretend to be happy for us to be on board their ship, or happy within their own profession. The scowls frequently outweighed the smiles at about a 90/10 ratio. The dining room was by FAR the slowest service I have ever seen. They seemed to be understaffed most nights.

This is most likely more on Carnival then the individuals, but it was not our

fault that they were overworked and miserable because of their employer. 45 minutes for apps to arrive most nights. Seriously? Then you had to hope the right one was coming. Simple things as an ice tea refill? I had to get up and find the iced tea most nights. I know this may sound trivial ... hey you were cruising man! Be happy! But those of you who cruise often will understand where I'm coming from. Food quality subpar.Bland, bland, bland.

Someone please tell me how a chocolate cake, an orange cake, a coconut cake, etc., can all taste alike? It was real odd. One positive here was the deli sandwiches at lunch. Delicious.

- Activities. Or again ... lack thereof. Trivia, trivia, and more trivia! 100's of people attending each one. Want to know why? There was simply NOTHING else to do! On a 12 day cruise they had less then 6 total sporting deck activities. How much mini golf and foosball does one want to play in 12 days. Seriously Carnival you NEED to take a look at other cruise lines and see what fun is really about. The FUN ship? You cannot even believe that statement yourself.

Back to trivia. How hard is it to come up new questions and answers. I have a free app on my tablet that could last you a year Carnival! Yet, they managed to continually repeat trivias throughout the cruise. Trivial comment ... perhaps. But again these small details are not very small as the days go by on a

cruise.

- Hot Tubs/Jacuzzi's. Day one. Not even body temperature. Day two. Same. Three same. Checked all of them on board, and were all the same. It took this being my seventh cruise to finally make my first formal complaint to guest services. Was told they would get right on that and check the temperatures for me. Nice. Day four, same. Five, same. Back to guest services. They will get right on it! Phew. Day 6-12 same. Two more complaints later they expedited me to an onboard manager, first name Anna, on day 7. Promised me a change that never came.

We literally spoke with at least 100 people on board that also complained about this. The temps never were even body temperature once. How difficult was this to fix. Seriously? They just don't seem to care at all.

- One evening I asked our room attendant for an extra program for the next day. He scowled at me and actually slapped one into my chest firmly. Yes you read that correctly. Unacceptable to say the least. I still can't believe that

actually happened.

- Breakfast most morning's at the lido buffet. Empty coffee vessels. Empty orange juice, etc. etc. Every morning same thing. Go to other side, and empty. Walk to other end, empty. Cycle back until you find one attended to. Good luck

finding a table when the dishes were rarely cleared off. Lack of staff, and the ones there ALWAYS let me repeat ALWAYS looked MISERABLE to be there doing their JOB. It was truly astonishing. Would have tired the main dining room for an occasional breakfast, but heard that the service was so slow, you had to devote 2 + hours to it. No thank you.

- Overnight one evening our toilet overflowed with "other" peoples waste from our floor. Okay happens right? But it should NOT have taken a full hour and 4 phone calls to get it fixed!!

There is so much more. I could go on and on and on. So much to the point that I feel I should stop here, or your simply just not going to believe me.

Carnivals biggest flaws jump right out at you. They were eerily similar to our first time with them. I can assure you there will NOT be a third time. If their upper management does not seem to care to fix issues on board, how ca they expect the rest of their staff to care?

Spend just a "little" more money elsewhere, and get a MUCH better experience. Is this your message to me Carnival?

Message received. Loud and clear!

Publication Date: 12/04/12