“Such a wonderful cruise”
Cruise review of Carnival Freedom

jginat Carnival Freedom 5 Such a wonderful cruise
jginat
Member Since 2011
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
This was a six days Western Caribbean Cruise, with stops at Key West, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios (Jamaica). I'll start with the embarkation - Which was a breeze. We arrived at the port at 12:30. And it took us exactly 18 minutes from the moment the taxi dropped us off to the moment we were on the ship (photo-op time included). And that's regular boarding time. We are not Platinum members, nor did we buy the faster to the fun program. After boarding the ship we went straight to booking the Behind the Fun tours. It is not cheap, 95 USD per person. However it is a very enjoyable tour. It is held on the second sea day. It's about 3 hours long, and you get to visit all parts of the ship, including he bridge and a very informative yet entertaining talk with the captain. You also get lots of stuff - a hat, a curved soap, chocolate covered strawberries, a photo with the captain, etc. The room (an oceanview room) was a very large one. Although located near the elevators, and just above the gangway, noise was never a problem. The room was very clean, and the staff did a wonderful job. Since we spent so little time in the room, we didn't feel a need for a balcony or a more expensive room. I heard lots of critic about the food, and the long lines at the Lido deck buffet. I feel that those are exaggerated. There are lines at the buffet (especially for the Mongolian Wok and for the omelettes at breakfast), however they are reasonable. The food itself was good, and there were lots of options (Mongolian wok, fish and chips, sushi, and much more). We had late sitting table for dinner. Here I must say that the staff did an exceptional job. The Maitre D' put us in a table with exactly the right people, and we never missed a night at the main dining room. There were lots of choices (oh, I wish I had some warm chocolate melting cake back home), and the staff always brought us several choices to try from. Do try the steakhouse at least one night (well worth the 35 USD pp). Shows were good (not fabulous), mini golf and pool area very nice (but not so big as the new ships). I made a short visit to the spa (just a pedicure), and enjoyed it very much. There was no disturbing pitch sale, and no annoying too much small talk during the pedicure. The lady was very professional, attentive and pleasant. Debarkation was a little bit tiring. We chose to take our luggage with us, and started going of the ship at about 7:45. There was a long line waiting for customs. And it took out about 40 minutes until we were out of the port. The staff was extremely friendly, and it's certainly a ship I'd recommend.
Carnival Freedom Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Ocean View

6A1261
Although near the elevators, and just above the gangway, the room was quiet. It had lots of space, and it was very clean. It's certainly more than worth the money, a wonderful choice.

Kayaking
It was a windy day, so rowing in the Kayak was a little bit difficult, especially since I was in a Kayak with my 9 years old son, and I was the only one rowing
Bobsled Tour
It was a combined Bobsled (Mystic mountain) and Dunn's River Falls tour. It's a tour you should not miss. It's a must
Published 12/04/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Freedom Review
Carnival Freedom Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?