Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by Themrs10: Nice, but not excellent

Nice, but not excellent

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Charleston

The cruise out of Charleston, SC was a great trip. However the port of Charleston, needs some work as the water at the port stinks really bad. Embarkment was smoother and quicker than my last experience, on the ship less than ten minutes of arriving to the customs. Bags were delivered to our room at two different times.. One was early and the other came later that evening. The boat was large, but you can definitely tell it was the oldest ship of Carnival line. The ship was refurbished in 2010 and it still holds up well. The casino is a joke, seriously was humorous watching everyone try to win an IPAD in the coin machine. I believe they took some of the items out to make it appear that people can actually win. And the coin machines are magnetized as there is no way a quarter or stack of them could be basically over the ledge and not fall. On the good note the hubby was able to win $123 off of playing five bucks on the one machine, that we witnessed pay off to at least two More other passengers.
The shows were entertaining and the dancers and singers were all very talented. The best game show was in my opinion the couples game (similar to the newlywed game). Bingo was always a perk to watch as I love to watch people win.

The food was alright. The desserts were better. We mainly ate in the lido deck 10 (buffet). I thought the food here was much better than my experience on Royal Caribbean 10 years ago. We chose the my time dining in the celebration dining hall and the buffet was much better. The lines for the my time dining literally extended around the deck and the decks above and below. The food portion sizes were humiliating as they were enough to feed a baby only. This was my first time eating in the main dining room and unfortunately it was the last night of the cruise. My sister later informed me that you could ask for another entree if you wished to.. of course they didn't tell us that in the dining room. Breakfast on the lido deck was good as you had an option to eat from the grill area or the lido hall, they even had an omelet station. The complimentary drinks were sometimes watered down, but hey its a cruise and they expect you to pay for more quality drinks and sodas. We loved the sushi bar.

The room servants were excellent. Seemed like every time we left our room, we returned to it being touched up and cleaned. The staff were great especially in remembering your name and what you liked.

Nassau was absolutely the key to the trip. I didn't pay to go to Atlantis especially not through the cruise. We did pay $15 bucks to get a horse driven carriage ride through the historical parts of town near the port. I have to admit I was very skeptical of this because I had to make the local show me his badge as he had it tucked in his shirt pocket, and they did take us through the "hood". But usually that is where some of the historical sites are. We also did the glass bottom boat, which should have just been called a coast line tour of the homes of the rich and famous. There were some tropical fish to see at the bottom of the boat, but nothing spectacular. The water was clear and beautiful. as so was Oprah's home and guesthouse. The boat ride was about an 1.5 hour and I do think that it was worth it even though I didn't see any big fish. Senior Frogs is must do, the food and the scenery right there on the ocean is beautiful.

Freeport was a huge disappointment as it is very industrialized. literally there is a cargo dock right there on the port and oil rigs were very present. The only key is that the port has some local outlets right there on port, but it may be worth just staying on the boat. The best part of Freeport was leaving the port as the staff at Senior Frogs (they have one too) stood on there counters and serenaded the cruise on departure.

I did forget to mention the first two days at sea were very choppy and the boat rocked severely. But after reaching the Bahamas, the weather was much calmer. Less

Read more Carnival Fantasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Fantasy Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Fantasy Oceanview Empress E114

Ample closets, tiny dresser drawers, and tiny bathroom. Quiet location. Great room service and housekeeping staff are superb. Easy location as it is the same that you embark and debark on.

Not worth getting off the ship for. You can actually enjoy the local musicians if you sit on the outside decks of the ship.
Read 781 Freeport Reviews