Sea Princess Cruise Review by sevengifts

Cruise Date: September 2012
Embarkation: San Francisco
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Cabin Category: BA
See More About: Sea Princess Cruise Reviews | Australia & New Zealand Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Sea Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Sea Princess Deck Plans
Repositioning- SF to Sydney
We were on the repositioning portion of the cruise that prettygirl describes below. For the most part I agree with her assessments, but would like to add a few of my own.

Environment: Our cabin was mid ship Aloha deck. Before we reached Tahiti we started to notice a noxious, sewer smell in the corridor that eventually seeped into our cabin. Not even keeping our balcony door open helped. We had to leave the cabin several time, specially at night, because we were about to get sick. We complained but nothing was done to correct the problem.

Food and seating: Though not 5 star quality, I always seemed to find dishes that I liked in the Horizon court. We specially enjoyed the different rices that were offered as well as the pasta that was individually prepared just outside the main serving area. The desserts and pastries were delicious. Contrary to other Princess ships Horizon seating was always adequate, with plenty of (very popular) tables for 2.

Entertainment: plenty of interesting things to do. Good lectures, excellent painting lessons, a well stocked and manned library, good entertainment at night.

Akaroa: We were one of the lucky ones who got to spend the night at a good hotel in Christchurch. But were part of the very unlucky hundreds who were disgorged by Princess tour buses and left drenched and shivering at the dock for more than an hour, with no protection from the elements or information while the captain decided what to do about the tender situation. Coordination with the tour companies to retain passengers inside the buses should have been a priority. Shame on Princess for making a bad situation even worse.

Fellow passengers: Good mix of nationalities and cultures. Everyone seemed to get along. What prettygirl describes as Australian table manners is generally how Europeans eat: fork in left hand -"upside down", knife in right hand. My European grandparents taught me that this was the "proper and polite" way to eat, but I only do so when in Europe. I have always liked the Australian's sense of humor and good nature and was very glad of the opportunity to share with so many on this trip.

Publication Date: 12/04/12