Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by madthumper: Great Destiny Cruise

madthumper
Member Since 2009

Great Destiny Cruise

Sail Date: November 2012

We chose this cruise based on the itinerary and that the Destiny will no longer be the Destiny after her refurbishment in February when she will then be renamed the Sunshine.

We chose the early saver option and chose cabin 2311, an aft interior stateroom. Having never stayed on the lower decks on any of our other cruises I really did not look at the location except for the fact it was close to the elevators and stairs since my wife has trouble walking.
The cabin was nice with the exception of not having a mini fridge in it. I had heard on the message board that blocks of staterooms were already being refurbished in the new colors. Our stateroom was already refurbished into the new Sunshine blue colors with a new flat screen T.V. The only negative about the room is that it is located on the lower aft deck. If you are a light sleeper you will hear the noise from the engines. Its not bad while cruising but when the ship slows down to come into port or makes a 180 degree turn More to dock, you will hear as well as feel it. We joked about it and called it our built in alarm clock which let us know that we had arrived in port.

Embarkation was nice. We arrived at the port about 11 A.M. and was on the ship by 1145.

Our first stop was Nassau. Having been to Nassau so many times before on cruises the wife and I usually just stay on the ship. Just before we left I checked out the ports of call on the message board and read some good reviews about a day pass at the British Colonial Hilton and decided to try it. I'm so glad we did, it was one of the best days we had in Nassau in a long time. You get the use of all the outdoor facilities at the pool as well as the beach and its within walking distance of the ship. Would highly recommend this if you want a relaxing quiet day at the beach and or pool. There were 5 ships in Nassau that day and the Hilton was not crowded.

Our second day was at Half Moon Cay, Carnival's private island. The tendering process was a nightmare. No crew to guide you, they made the announcement to proceed to deck 0. We all started to get off the elevator and the area was mobbed. The line went back up the stairs to deck 1 and extended down the cabin hallway which interfered with the cabin stewards trying to clean the rooms. By the time we got back down to the stairway there was a crew member there but the chaos had already started. She did the best she could by opening up the closed half of the stairway and let people just go down to deck 0 which did alleviate the congestion on deck 1. I would have thought they would have used a tendering ticket system like on other ships I have been on.

Having never been to Half Moon Cay it was basically like all the other cruise line's private islands we've been to except for Disney's island which is in my opinion the top of the line. The water seemed alot clearer to me than on any of the other private islands. There were plenty of chairs on the island and the lunch was good.

Now comes the reason I booked this cruise, Grand Turk. I have read and heard alot about Grand Turk. We were the second ship to arrive at Grand Turk and I had heard that Grand Turk would be crowded since there would already be a ship there ahead of us. We left the ship and walked around the cruise center before heading over to Margaritaville. We found a nice table under a palm tree right beside the pool. The pool wasn't crowded and I was able to do what I have wanted to do since researching Grand Turk. And that was to wade on
over to the pool bar and sit down and have myself a drink. After spending about 2 hours at the pool we decided to go over to the beach which was about a 2 minute walk from the pool and found plenty of lounge chairs under the Palm trees. I liked being able to sit and swim on the beach and see the cruise ships sitting at the dock about 100 yards away. As I went into the water the wife hollered I don't want you going past the ropes in the water and swimming out to the ships even though it was tempting.

Our last day was a day at sea and like most other days at sea it was hanging out at the pool or casino. I really didn't see any chair hogs and had no problem finding a chair. The big screen was scrolling a message that if any property was left unattended for 40 minutes that it would be taken to the towel station, so maybe that had some affect though I didn't see any " Chair Police".

De embarkation was nice as well. Ship docked at about 745 and we were off the ship by 845 having zone 6.

I would definitely do this itinerary again, I didn't review the ship that much since it will not look or be the same ship after it dry docks in February though I really don't have any complaints about the Destiny and would sail on her again if she wasn't going in for a refurbishment. Less

Read more Carnival Destiny cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Destiny Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Destiny Interior Main 2311

2311 Interior 4B. Not for the light sleeper. Engine noise and vibrations can be felt and heard especially when slowing down coming into port. The noise and vibrations are worst when turning the ship around to dock. No mini fridge but close to the aft stairways and elevators for those people who have trouble walking.

Great port of call. You get the best of it all in one area. Shopping is right there off of the dock. The ocean and the fresh water pool is only 2 minutes apart and you can take advantage of both without wasting alot of time traveling back and forth. If you decide you don't want to eat lunch on the island and prefer to go back to the ship,the walk is about 5-10 minutes from the pool,beach and shopping area.

Nice clear water, food was good too.

(5.5)
Did the British Colonial Hilton resort day pass. Fantastic. Fifty dollars a person but you get a $30.00 voucher to use for food and drink. Access to both the fresh water pool and the private beach area.
Read 2645 Nassau Reviews