Island Princess Cruise Review by gramparick: Relaxing and Informative

Relaxing and Informative

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: Other

Another great cruise experience with Princess; Panama Canal cruise, November 2 and returning the twelfth. Embarkation was a breeze and we opted for the airport pickup and hotel the night before and it all went without a hitch. We stayed in a mini-suite, D614, and found it very comfortable and spacious. Our room steward, Maylon, was an excellent host and took very good care of us.

We had reservations for early dining and were well taken care of by Yuri and Richard. Unfortunately we found our table for 6 frequently a table for 2. We did eat one meal at Sabatini's and were not at all impressed. My wife described her meal as average at best and my steak was the toughest piece of meat I have ever experienced in a restaurant, not to mention one aboard a cruise ship that I had to pay extra for. I did inform the waiter and we were given no consideration for the bad experience. We would not recommend paying the extra money to eat at Sabatini's.

I used the gym almost More daily and it is equipped with the finest workout machines. I also attended two yoga classes and one spinning class. Instructor Casey is not only competent in all she teaches but will work your tail off with her spinning class. I highly recommend her classes.

Our favorite cocktail stop before dinner was Crooners as the two bartenders their are not only friendly but funny, helpful and great ambassadors for Princess. Be sure and have a drink with Jason and Wynn when aboard the Island Princess.

Regarding ports visited; most are unremarkable but we did enjoy Zip Lining in Limon, Costa Rica. I would avoid Cartegena, Columbia as far as leaving the ship. It is not safe and you can feel it.

All in all it was a great cruise with the exception of the bad dining experience is Sabatini's. We have put money down on a future Princess cruise which would be our fifth with them.

We also took advantage of the Express checkout which checked our bags to our final destination airport. I was extremely skeptical that all of our 3 bags would be at our home airport, after one plane change but they made it with us. You just sign up, pay the extra, put your bags out the night before you depart and you don't see them again until you get to your final destination. Amazing. Less

Read more Island Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Island Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Island Princess

D614, great size, nice balcony but we missed an overhang above to block the sun. Quiet location, no noise at all and easy to get to the elevators. More than adequate storage in the room.

Don't arrange a taxi tour with the little old guy just outside the terminal who approaches and offers to get you a taxi and guide who can speak good English. Our guide had to use a cane and couldn't walk with us in the city and the driver could not speak English. This guy is a rip off. Cartagena is not a port you feel safe in.