Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by hsnowden

Member Name: hsnowden
Cruise Date: November 2012
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: E3
See More About: Jewel of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Not what I expected
Ok, so I got a great deal on a balcony and booked this cruise. First let me say this is a beautiful ship. The design is a bit strange, but other than that, super impressed with the ship itself.

As for the food...... well, let's just say, I guess they are putting some cost saving measures in place that trickle down to food quality. The dining room staff was great, as on every RCI cruise I have been on. (I have been on 12 by the way) The food just wasn't up to my standard of taste and portion.

Room was beautiful, staff was great.

The cruise director..... now that's a whole different story. He CLEARLY does not know his guests. I had a private conversation with him why waiting to re-board after a day in Mexico. He was telling me about how this ship doesn't have late night comedy or things like that because this ship caters to "families" Families?? Families?? This ship was packed to the gills with OLD People. Villages Residents!! (Florida people will understand that one) I tripped over more of those scooter things in the hall ways than I have on ANY other ship. The average guest age on this ship appeared to be 70+. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against an older crowd, but I don't want to be on a cruise ship where I feel like I'm the youngest person there, and I'm 45!!

For sea days, there were no where near enough activities. There was NOTHING to do. The ship basically rolled up the streets at 10pm. The night club....well, I was the ONLY person in there at 11pm.. WHAT??? So, for the cruise director to say they cater to families.... he doesn't have a clue. The quest, which to me is a highlight and an RCI staple, was the lamest and tamest event ever. Imagine playing the quest with your grandparents!! Get the picture??

The activities director, while nice, had no clue either. While attending a Veterans get together event that had more WWII vets than anything, she successfully offended the entire group by saying "what more do you people want" in a tone that almost got her thrown overboard. The question posed to her was "could you announce this over the PA like you do all the other events?" She said "I just don't understand why you people get together and tell these old stories." You People?? Granted she was British, but still!! Very offensive. Her way of apologizing?? A free drink.

As for the ports, Cozumel was fine, but spending 3 hours in Key West??? Why even stop??? That's all I will say on that one.

I am an Emerald level cruiser with RCI and I will continue to use them pretty much exclusively. I was just unhappy more with the staff on this ship than anything else. Sorry RCI, but I'm just being honest here.

Publication Date: 12/03/12