Hello, I am Jason and my girlfriend is Jodi. We live in West Central Illinois. This was Jodis first cruise. We booked a room at the Best Western Airport/Cruiseport in Ft. Lauderdale a day in advance of our cruise. I have always done this because it takes away the stress of something going wrong. I booked the hotel for $89.00(Government Card Holder Rate) which included transportation from the airport.
Our room was very nice at the hotel. We loved being able to de-stress after a day of flying. We grabbed a bite to eat at McDonalds right next door(money saved is more $$ for the Cruise). We decided we wanted some cocktails so just a block away there was a liquor store we picked up a few beers....perfect for lounging next to the pool with sunglasses on. OHH yeah so now we are in full vacation mode. Shorts on, palm trees, cold beer, and NO KIDS!! We decided to take a Taxi to Ft Lauderdale Beach (16$)to catch some night life. It was crazy in a good way, people all over tons of drink and food options. There was outdoor dining all over so we decided to have a few and eat again....there goes the money saved at Mcdonalds earlier!!! We decided on a place called Rock Hard. LOL that's right not Hard Rock but rather Rock Hard. We ate two appetizers, Jodi had a chicken quesadilla and I had chips and salsa. It was very very good!! People watching was great the night life was awesome. We took the opportunity to walk along the ocean and get some sand between our toes. So now back to our hotel.
We were given the option of paying for a shuttle to the cruise port in the morning (20$$) but decided instead to take a cab and here is why.
(1) The shuttle goes to all cruise ships that are in port. So we did our homework and found out that the liberty was the last stop on the shuttles run to the cruise port.
(2) the shuttle leaves at earliest 11:15am there is heavy traffic in the cruise port on embarkation days.
(3) there were five ships in port that day. So if we had gone with the shuttle we would have had to wait as 20 other people got unloaded at their different ships.
(4) with the taxi we choose when we go and get straight to our ship.
(5) taxi was cheaper $14 with tip. So with all that said we were able to get to the ship unloaded and headed into the check in at 11:15 when the shuttle would have been leaving. Okay okay its a difference of probably an hour but hey that's an extra hour of vacation!!
We were booked in a Suite, so it was a straight walk through. I dont think it even took 30 minutes to get on it was super fast!! a lot of other people were waiting in chairs to be let on but we were able to bypass all of those lines.
On board day one.
We went straight to the pool bar and grabbed a chair, a drink and some Florida sun. We ate at the Windjammer a little later on. As always the WJ was good food and a huge variety. My only complaint about the WJ is people are crazy like they have never eaten at a buffet before or it was like it was their last meal!! Insanity. Insanity Wake up people we are all on vacation..these people need a valium or xanax or something. OK I'm off of my podium lol the food was good and variety was great as always.
Our JS was very big but our balcony was HUGE!!!!!
Our SR attendant was wonderful she was always willing to help with anything we needed.