SeaDream I Cruise Review by LarHedSE: Seadream I - a dream turned into a Sewage smell Cruise

LarHedSE
Member Since 2012

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on SeaDream I Southern Caribbean Cruises

Seadream I - a dream turned into a Sewage smell Cruise

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Barbados

Seadream was a dream for us - we found it in 2008 and now in 2012 we found the right combo of airline tickets and Seadream Cruise to our dream destinations.

We were very excited, and we also made sure Seadream was informed about food allergies. This was not a problem we were told, and I am happy to write that it was not a problem for us. However one passenger had nut allergy and suffered an attack one night at dinner - not that good...!

We were also very eager to learn things like dress code and so on. So when we got the travel documents we also read that it was a rather relaxed dress code - boy was we wrong, but we managed to fix that somehow ;-)

Once we had checked in and got our stateroom, we decided to take a walk. Nice - it looked just like we thought.

One offer we got when we got our stateroom was for a 50% reduced pressing on 4 items per person returned before 19.00. We thought: Yea exactly what we needed ! Well, the cloth we intended to use for More dinner that evening never arrived, and on top of all we learned the offer was not per person, but per stateroom. Strange, I think I can read, and still it says per person on that offer...

Little did we know that by the time the ship left Barbados, we got a sewage smell in our stateroom. We complained directly of course. The staff mentioned that people on deck 2 (we were on deck 3) already had complained about the same sewage smell...

The smell was also there during all night, so we again complained the morning after - no difference. And when the 2nd night was the same, my patience was over so I contacted my travel agent - and now two from the management team all of a sudden was at our stateroom saying all sorts of sorry and the problem was a tank that has now been fixed. Great we though - it is over ?

For the next 3 days yes - but when it returned in the end of the voyage, we complained again - the solution was a puff of air refresher in the stateroom. Yea right - that did not solve this problem, although for an hour or two we can say that the air was better. But of course the sewage smell returned.

Otherwise I'd say the food was excellent - except I do not think the nut allergy person thinks so. The service was very good from staff that served food and drinks. And they eventually learned what we drink and what we did - and our names. However at one time we got two eggs instead of one, and one regular coke never surfaced from the order... Minor things yes.

I do wonder how they think about hanging wet swim wear ? There was no way to dry swim wear of any kind - and no space to hang them either...

We did dream about the Balinese dream beads - however you will have to smell the fumes from the engine if you would like to try them. We did and after 45 minutes I though I was poisoned.... And everything I tried tasted metal and oil... My tip: Stay away from the Balinese beds - at least until the fix the design of the engine exhaust system so the fumes don't drop directly onto you when you use the Balinese beds - day or night.

Was there nothing good ? Of course it was, the Tobago Kays was just truly excellent. And a few other ports.

But it all comes down to one thing: I do not like to spend time in a stateroom smelling the sewage system. And they never fixed it. And when I complained back home I got an offer for a 5% reduction on the next voyage if I spend another 1850 euro for pre booking within a week... Come on Seadream - you could have done better!

The ship is old - it is in a need for a complete redesign, at least of the pluming and sewage tank system - the smell proves that. Less

Read more SeaDream I cruise reviews >>