Carnival Legend Cruise Review by SonictheGT

Cruise Date: November 2012
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: 8K

Ship=Lackluster Ports=Wonderful
We traveled on the Carnival Legend on 11/11/18. The overall ship experience wasn't all together very good. Below is the details of the trip:

Embarkation: All together took approximately 5 minutes. We took a flight that arrived in Tampa Airport at 1:50 P.M. We were a little late in landing by about 15 minutes, but we were still able to grab our luggage, and get on the boat before 3:00 P.M.

Room: We were able to go right to the room since we were late. We headed to the Lido for a quick bite since we haven't been able to eat all day. It was marginal at best. I didn't go hungry, but I wasn't satisfied either. That will be the recurring theme of this cruise. After that we unpacked. There was plenty of hangers to accomodate all of our clothes, and space to store our shoes/luggage/etc. The room was clean, but obviously very small. I spilled my first drink within about 5 minutes of being in the room, because it got bumped into. Speaking of drinks... Our luggage did not arrive in the room. We had to go claim it. Turns out that even if you were a passenger that flew in, you still were required to put your allowed bottle of wine in your carry on only baggage, not your baggage that you checked at the airport. So they took both our bottles of wine, and did not return them until the morning of Debarkation. This caused an issue since we were trying to bring back some liquor, and there simply wasn't any room in our luggage. What a waste! Also they were hardcore about checking peoples soda/water/bottles. They checked the seals, and shook them to make sure they had bubbles. Our television was posessed. It would randomly turn itself on, or randomly mute itself, or turn the volume way up, even if the remote wasn't facing the tv. Very strange. The first night in the room was very rough. The sea was very rough, so that didn't help, and the wind was strong. So strong in fact, that it sounded like our damned room was haunted by a spooky ghost. There was a VERY loud whistle/howling all night. Luckily my lovely girlfriend got up in the middle of the night and shimmed the door with some of the towels that quieted it enough for us to get a few hours of sleep.

Sea Day 1: We always ate breakfast in the MDR. I highly recommend that. Food on the Lido looked very gross. After breakfast we tried to get out to the Serenity area around 9 AM. There wasn't a chair/clam shell/hammock one. All already snagged. So we ended up finally finding a spot on the 10th deck mid ship, away from most all the activity/crowd. After laying in the sun for a while, a spot in the mid hot tub finally opened up, so we went for it. There was at first just a few older guys, and us which was enjoyable. On a side note the temperature of the hot tub was probably around 93-94 degrees or so. Not very hot, but noticeably warmer than the pool. About 10 minutes later, there was a family from North Carolina, that brought in about 5-6 kids, along with 4 adults. Talk about over crowded. These are small hot tubs we are talking about. It got very noisy, and uncomfortable, so we excused ourselves back to the room. The entertainment throughout the day was lame, and for a "Fun Day at Sea" I felt disappointed. Dinner in the main dining room was the first formal/elegant night. Good lord there was some mega hoosiers on this cruise. I find it funny, they enforced a dumb ass rule about how you carry on your wine, but they allowed shorts/hats/flip flops/jeans/ etc in the MDR on formal/elegant night. If I would have known that I wouldn't have went through the trouble of packing my nice suit.

Sea Day 2: This day started the same. Breakfast, then out to Serenity. This time however, we were lucky enough to have a lady offer us her clam shell. She appeared to be pretty liquored up that early in the morning, so she went in to lay down. We enjoyed about an hours' worth of sun, and then we sailed into a hell of a storm. It rained HARD for at least 3 hours. Luckily when everyone was running for cover I tossed our stuff under cover, and hoped in the hot tub. This hot tub was the hottest of the 3 on board at about 96-97 degrees. Two other couples joined us, and we sat there for over 2 hours just chatting and talked in the rain. It sucked and was fun all at the same time if that makes any sense. I definitely would have rather had some sunshine, but we made the best of the rain. The last bingo said $5,000 Powerball bingo. It was a bit of a pipe dream mis-advertisement. In order to get $5,000 you have to get a cover all bingo with less than 50 numbers called, and you have to call bingo on the number they designate the Powerball. I think if you have it on your card it should count. Once it gets over 50 numbers called it drops to $1,000 jackpot. We played bingo 3 times and always was within 1 or 2 numbers of winning, but sadly never won... oh well, I still had fun with it. Just thought that set up was weird. After bingo was the finale show. Good lord it was friggin terrible! It was a bunch of passengers off the ship. They did James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Garth Brooks, Elton John, Frank Sinatra, and a few others. With the exception of about 3 of the 11 or so, they were terrible. The three that were decent, still wasn't show worthy. I didn't expect Vegas level shows on this cruise, but are you telling me they can't even find some old Branson performers to help out? The only show in fact that was okay was the marriage/love show, and that was just because the people chosen had some funny answers. And I enjoyed the train wreck of a couple that was the newlyweds on the ship. They were so thick, it made me cringe. When they asked a question, "when your man gets out of the shower does your man look like a stretch limo, or two other options I don't specifically remember" the girl was like... "are you talking about his penis?" Seriously? She asked that same kind of question like 2 other times. I feel sad if these people breed. Those kids are doomed.

Food: As a whole I can't say anything was good on the entire cruise. There was some stuff that wasn't bad, but most of it was merely edible. The only thing that saved any kind of experience for me in the main dining room was Astawa. We had him as our waiter the final three nights. He was absolutely amazing. If it wasn't for him I think I would have just ordered room service for the remainder of the cruise and been sad. He was very animated and fun, always involving my girlfriend in the nightly dining room shows. His two team members on his wait crew were also very good. If you go on this cruise before December 17th ask for him every night. He won't disappoint you.

Drinks: Outrageously expensive. Each drink was about 10 dollars after the mandatory tip, and none of them were particularly amazing. All of them were small too, so if you have a high tolerance like me, you won't be able to afford getting a good buzz on the ship unless you are making at least six figures, or are very loose with your money. The drinks of the day were sometimes as high as 14.25, plus 15%. That's just bonkers!

Activities: There was some trivia on the ship that was okay. Most of them were geared towards an older audience, which is understandable. The TV trivia was all about Bonanza, Bewitched, Rockford Files, etc... Tough for a 28 year old guy to get all of those right. We always seemed to lose by 1 answer. The trivia went on the honor system... I don't think you can have an honor system in a dishonest world. I heard a guy shot out 3 wrong answers when they were guessing, and yet when he turned in his score he said he only missed one, and beat us by 1. All of that for a lousy ship on a stick. Most all of the other activities on board weren't worth your time. It'd be better to just relax and enjoy the company of your traveling companion.

Service: As a whole I was wildly disappointed with all the service on the cruise. Most of the people either seemed inherently bad at their jobs, or just didn't give a damn. I think it was the end of a lot of their contracts and they must be burned out. Also some people will try to take advantage of you. I had a man in the MDR selling shots. They were Lemoncello. I instinctively said no, because I didn't need an overpriced shot which I didn't even much care for. However, he said that it was only $1.50 per shot, and you got to keep the shot glass. My girlfriend repeated it back to him. "Only $1.50" she said, "wow that's really cheap since the glass is worth $6.00" And he said "Yes, very good deal" So we took the shot and gave him my S & S Card. I came back with $8.50 each shot. I asked him, and he said that was right. We already took the shot, so I didn't have much choice, and I signed the ticket. I was trying to remain optimistic, and thought that since he had an accent that I misunderstood him. On our second to last night on the ship we ate with a couple that ran into the same issue that we did. I went down to customer service to tell them about it. I didn't even get an apology, let alone a credit on my account. I was pretty upset, considering he is intentionally misleading people, and they didn't seem to care.

Condition of the ship: Overall aside of it being very outdated with its decor, it was very nice. Everything was spotlessly clean the entire time. No dust anywhere, no dirt on any carpets/cushions, etc. I was very impressed with that aspect of things.

Things to avoid: Try to avoid all alcohol being carried around and offered to you. Usually it is marked up, and you can find it cheaper. The slide... I heard a lot of people get injured on it. I didn't go down myself for fear of injury. Most Lido food. Anytime I got anything aside of dessert up there, I found it to be pretty damned gross and cold.

Things that were decent: The Serenity hot tub was nice, most any of the chocolate desserts were good, hot chocolate was good in the morning, and lemonade was good to mix with vodka if you got some in your Bon Voyage program.

I am sure I am missing quite a lot of details here, but at this point, my fingers are tired, and I am sure you have lost interest. If you are booked on this cruise, I am sure you'll enjoy yourself... If you are thinking about booking on this, I think I'd shoot for NCL or another Carnival ship with the same itinerary, because this one was very subpar!

Publication Date: 12/03/12