Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by imusttravel2000: RCCL didn't meet our expectations

imusttravel2000
Member Since 2005

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Grandeur of the Seas Transatlantic Cruises

RCCL didn't meet our expectations

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Barcelona

First thing upon entering the ship, we encounter a sewer smell. The kind of smell that comes from a sanitation plant. The captain tells the passengers on the last day of our 2 week cruise about why they have a sewer problem. The comedians were making jokes about the smell. I felt sorry for the staff. They could not wait to get off the ship. The toilets had a 30% chance of flushing in all areas of the ship.
Boarding went smooth. We enjoyed resting on the upper deck until our luggage arrived.
Into the evening, we went to the guest relations to get assist with the computer wifi and asked about our discount for the computer. They weren't very knowledgeable in that area. It would have been helpful to have an assistant in the computer section of the ship to help.
While standing in line, a few passengers got into a verbal fight. The counter staff just stood there. It was over somebody being helped but stepped away then back to the counter. Somebody thought they were cutting in More line. Too many people were complaining on the ship but a few of us enjoyed the activities that were offered.
The lecture series were interesting. I tried bingo once and had to hear all the bickering. I felt bad for Carlos, the activities director. He was suggesting that certain passengers need to save their fighting until they get back home and to enjoy the cruise now. That should tell you how cranky a few passengers were. No bingo for me again ,o)
We enjoyed the ports. Getting excursions with fellow cruise critic passengers was wonderful. We didn't have to deal with mass amounts of passengers. We met good friends and enjoyed ourselves with them throughout the cruise. Unfortunately, I wasn't notified of the Cruise Critic party and missed it. The time I had from the forum was different.
It was wonderful to have a dedicated area for smoking. I have to give the ship a high five for that.
Entertainment was decent. The last show was the best, awesome Tango dancers.
Having three specialty restaurants on board was a little ridiculous. We did enjoy one night at the Chops Grille for our anniversary. The dining area had good food and the staff were very friendly.
RCCL supports repeated cruisers with happy hour and separate enclosed area for "better" food? I can understand the private parties but segregation went out a long time ago.
I am looking forward to our next cruise and most likely it will not be with RCCL, even with a 15% discount that some claim that we will get on our next RCCL cruise.
If you are booked for this ship, you may want to double check and see if the sewer smell is gone before boarding. RCCL should take this seriously and not allow passengers on board until it is fixed.
I heard that they had a fuel spill and needed to clean the ship when they arrived to Miami.
Hopefully, EPA will be made aware of this incident. Less