Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Uncle Sean: Classic

Overall Member Rating

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Southampton

Just returned home to Washington (DC) from France via a trans-Atlantic crossing on the Queen Mary 2. My partner and I booked a Q5 suite because we had crossed once before (July 2011) in Queen's Grill and were very satisfied. This voyage (November 20 - 27, 2012) was much better than our first experience. First, the time of year enabled us to secure a Q5 mid-ship suite for a few thousand dollars less than we had paid for our Q6 on the July 2011 crossing. Second, the clientele on this late-November voyage was more social, friendly, and gregarious than had been the case on the earlier summer crossing, which had included large numbers of families with kids. Third, the mid-ship position of our room really made the ride much smoother through the rougher seas at this time of year.

The refurbishment that had been undertaken since our last QM2 crossing still looked fresh and nice, though I feel the new stateroom carpeting (dark brown) does not do justice to the other improvements in the More decor.

My partner and I made extensive use of the Canyon Ranch Spa on this voyage, and we certainly got our money's worth out of the $95 each of us paid for a 5-day pass to the hydro therapy center. What an incredible feature of this amazing ship! The thalassotherapy pool alone was a sublime way to forget about the cold weather outside.

Our butler and his assistant were both outstanding. Our assistant waiters were also excellent, which made up for the lack of service we received from our lead waiter.

My only real complaint was the dreadful way Cunard handled the disembarkation in New York. Total chaos, with no communication going on among crew and staff who kept calling for more and more groups to head to Immigration when earlier groups were still waiting in the queue. The so-called priority for Grills guests still meant a wait of an hour to get off the ship. Less

Published 12/02/12

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review >>

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Transatlantic Cruises

Cabin review: Q59031 Queens Suite

Suite 9031 is well-placed at midships on the starboard side, opposite the Concierge Lounge. It is also very close to stairwell B and elevators. These features make the suite feel very central and convenient. I especially enjoyed being able to dart across the hall for a cup of tea, a snack, or a newspaper. The room itself was spotless and well maintained, although it did show a few signs of minor wear and tear.

Read All Queens Suite (Q5) Reviews >>
Uncle Sean
Member Since 2011
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X