Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by bostongal965: Good Times on the Dawn!

bostongal965
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Dawn Western Caribbean Cruises

Good Times on the Dawn!

Sail Date: November 2012
Embarkation: Tampa

Background Information - this cruise was taken by my husband (47), my two adult children (25, 22), and me (47). It was my husband's and my 3rd cruise, all on NCL, and my children's first. My husband and I stayed in an aft balcony, and my kids stayed in an inside across the hall.

Hotel Info - we stayed in a Springhill Suites just outside of Tampa. Nice big room for 4 adults, with 2 queens and a foldout couch. Also had a mini-fridge and microwave. There was an outside pool and jacuzzi, but we didn't use them - it was a little cool for us, but there was a family out there having fun!

Ship Info - our two previous cruises were both on the NCL Sun. This was our first time on the Dawn, and we really liked it. Nice atrium, bigger than the Sun. The pool area was on the small side, though, and very slippery. There is some evidence of wear and tear, but nothing I'd consider a deal-breaker for me. The two rooms were above the Spinnaker Lounge, and the music was loud More enough to hear the words to sing along - luckily for us, we are night owls and sound sleepers, so it didn't bother us too much. The balcony room was above the bakery - amazing aromas met us daily! The rooms were smaller than those on the Sun, but the bathrooms were larger.

Service - the service was pretty good overall. It was excellent in the Pearly King's pub where the lead bartender and waitstaff were just amazing - fun & friendly. The MDR staff was always pleasant and efficient. The staff in Le Bistro was amazing. The downside was our room steward and the staff in Moderno. Our steward was very nice and friendly, and did cute towel animals every night except the first and last. While he kept the room clean, he wasn't very good at details like coffee for the coffee maker. As far as Moderno went, I don't know what happened. We loved that restaurant on the Sun. This time, the service, while pleasant, was slow and inefficient. They never asked for drink orders, and were very slow to clear the plates. There was also a show in the atrium that really detracted from the meal. We ended up leaving without getting dessert.

Port & Shore Excursions - Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel. We went ashore for awhile in Roatan, but didn't do an excursion as it was pouring down rain. We tendered into Belize, shopped in the tourist village, and had lunch. The tendering process back was an arduous one. Unfortunately a woman fell (not sure if she slipped or fainted - hope she is ok), and it took some time for medical help to arrive. Then, halfway to the ship, an engine blew, and we slowed to a crawl. We were on the tender about an hour - unpleasant, to be sure. Costa Maya was awesome - beautiful day. We took a private excursion to the Chacchoben ruins - amazing. Cozumel turned out to be a tender port, so we opted to stay on the ship.

Entertainment - we saw three shows, all of which were very good. We watched several football games in the Pearly King's Pub, which was so much fun, we're likely ruined for life for watching in any sports bars near our home!

Disembarkation - we did Easy Walk-off - and it was! We parked at the Port's parking (pre-paid), so it was a simple walk across the street. Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Dawn

Pluses - Good sized balcony, loved overlooking the wake. Bakery aromas were mouth-watering. Bathroom was decent-sized and well laid out. Beds were amazing! Minuses - loud music from the lounge below was very audible.

Definitely a place to shop, eat, or book a ship's excursion. Lots of stores selling lots of things - local specialties to look for include cashew wine and Marie Sharp's chili sauces. Due to the need to tender in and out, I would book ship's excursions, just to be on the safe side.

Chacchoben Mayan Ruins

(5.5)
Very nice tourism village with lots of shops and a swim-up bar. Booked a private tour to the Chacchoben Mayan ruins - fabulous. Very nice ruins for a first timer.

Great port - lots to do. We took a ship's excursion on another cruise, unfortunately this time there were so many ships in port that we had to tender, so we didn't even get off the ship. Be aware that this is a popular port, and that having to tender is a possibility when planning your day.
Read 3107 Cozumel Reviews

The weather was bad so we didn't do an excursion. The Tourist Village was small, but well maintained. It had some cute shops with local handicrafts as well as the usual duty free shops.
Read 1647 Roatan Reviews