Seven Seas Navigator Cruise Review by atsea247

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Seven Seas Navigator Cruise Review by atsea247
Seven Seas Navigator
Seven Seas Navigator
Member Name: atsea247
Cruise Date: November 2012
Cabin Category: B
See More About: Seven Seas Navigator Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Regent Seven Seas Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Seven Seas Navigator Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Seven Seas Navigator Deck Plans
10 nights on NaviBRATOR
This was our first time on Regent and I can say I was not disappointed, but they fall a little short of their self proclaimed 6 star rating.

The ship:

Navigator is a pretty little ship, but she has a problem with vibration in a sea. As one crew member told me, they have added a "skirt" to the stern to add weight to reduce the vibration. He told me it had improved the vibration. What ever you do, do NOT get a cabin on deck 7 aft. I met a couple who had an assigned cabin (780) and they told me it was unbearable to the point they told the ship they would fly home from San Juan. Their cabin was changed despite a sold out ship.

Suite: Our suite was 6 star and our Butler (Vivek) and Stewardess (Yanti) were both 6 star and a credit to Regent. Vivek was available for any service from changing appointments in the spa to providing room service from the Compass Rose. Yanti kept the room in perfect condition and was ever present if needed, but out of sight when not.

Dinning: Here is where Navigator falls short. First, it often took as many as 4 requests for an ice tea. There were many times that when serving, the waiter would reach in front of me to serve a beverage. It became a little annoying to have a forearm stretched across my plate. Setti Mare, their evening Italian restaurant on deck 10 seemed to have a problem with consistency. On Thursday evening, I ordered their sea food specialty and it was superb. Friday night we returned and I ordered it again and it was almost like they had served left overs. It was over cooked and covered in sauce. Compass Rose, the main dinning room, had the same problem with ice tea and forearms in your face. The food, I must say, for the most part was excellent. It appears that the serving staff are poorly trained. One passenger reported that he had ordered a special bottle of wine and when his glass got low, the wine steward filled it with the house wine! I would suggest to Regent that they take a lesson from Celebrity and hire trained wait staff.

Shore excursions: We only took two and they were both excellent. Due to an at sea "rescue" of a sailboat at the behest of the USCG, we were late into San Juan and a number of shore excursions were canceled, but the one that did go ended up with the buss being caught in traffic for 3 hours. Certainly not Regent's fault, but they need better supervision of the tour operators .

Itinerary: It seems all the cruise lines go to Samana or Cayo Levantado in the Domincan Republic. Why I have no idea. There is nothing there other than a beach. The same could be said for some of the other stops as most tours were beach tours. The ship stayed in St Barts until midnight. This is a pretty, small island that is very expensive (4 Euro plus tip for a coke). After an island tour and a brief walk around, there is little to do. Turks and Caicos was another beach tour stop, but the Navigator docks in the morning and must anchor out after 1pm as two larger ships come in to the small dock. The weather was not conducive to tendering due to seas, so we left at 1PM rather than the 5pm scheduled departure.

All Inclusive: Let me say that the alcohol being poured on this ship could float her! It was much easier to get a double shot of Dewars than it was to get and ice tea. I ordered a Dewars on the rocks and had to ask for a glass of water as it had to be 5-6 shots of Dewars and 4 ice cubes.

Overall: I had a great time as did my wife. Is Navigator 6 stars? No. Overall, I would rate her at 4.8 stars due to a poor "front of the house" experience. Those in the "back of the house" (chefs etc.) do, overall, an excellent job, but the wait staff is lacking in training and has a poor command of the english language.

Publication Date: 11/29/12
More Seven Seas Navigator Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Seven Seas Navigator review Read the next Seven Seas Navigator review

More Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews