Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by smdcruiser: Celebrity dropped the ball on this one !

smdcruiser
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Celebrity dropped the ball on this one !

Sail Date: November 2012

After sailing many times with Celebrity, it was my suggestion to choose the Eclipse for our 8 night Caribbean family cruise....all adults, 14 in total. Only 3 members of our group had sailed in the past.

Embarkation was just OK.......a long wait, but that sometimes happens.

Huge line ups for the elevator, not only on embarkation day but at different times throughout the cruise. In my opinion this is a design flaw. A ship this size should have 3 bays of guest elevators. I don't mind using the stairs so this didn't bother me as much as it did some other guests.

The ship is beautiful and very clean....even the public washrooms.

The shows were great, some of the best I've seen on Celebrity. My family members were blown away by the size of the theatre. No matter how many shows I attend, I'm still in awe of the theatre.

The service on the public decks and common areas was lacking. It was difficult to find a server. More often then not I got my drinks More directly from the bar. The bar staff were indifferent and aloof and not overly friendly.....a smile and a thank you goes a long way.

I look forward to the dinners, especially when travelling with a group. This has always been a highlight of my past cruises. We had two tables next to each other. Prior to our trip I was boasting to my family members about what to expect at dinner....the huge hall, the amazing food, the high level of service! Well, I was right about one thing...the hall is huge.

On our first night in the main dining hall, we found the food to be bland and nothing special, something you might expect from a low budget diner. Most entres were served either cold or lukewarm when they should have been hot. The service was very slow and there was little interaction between the servers and the guests....except for 'Deepuk' our assistant server who should have been the head server.

We experienced the same level of service and low quality lukewarm food throughout the duration of our main dining room seating. The final night was a disaster. Guests from several tables were left unattended and without food. I observed several people leaving their tables out of frustration.

Celebrity, what has happened to the quality of your food and your service ?

On a positive dining note, our experience in the Qsine restaurant was unforgettable. We had the best time, the food was delicious and the staff made it an enjoyable and memorable experience.....thank you !

The disembarkation process was extremely painful. I've yet to experience such chaos in getting off of a ship, and once off it seemed like a snails pace before we finally cleared customs.

We had arranged for assistance with disembarkation for my 85 year old mother and brother who requires a walker. My mother is able to walk but now limited to how far. There was quite a delay with their disembarkation and they had to decide whether to walk in line with all other guests or chance missing our flight home. They ended up joining the extremely long line of people exiting the ship. This should never have happened.......shame on you Celebrity.

Overall, we chose to enjoy our vacation rather then dwell on the negatives.

In the past, I've been pretty much loyal to Celebrity. This recent experience has changed that and I've now booked two future cruises with a different cruise line.

This is not the same 'Celebrity Cruise Line' I started sailing with ! Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Deluxe Ocean View W/Veranda Continental Deck (6) 7230