Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by Dnkram: Southern Carribean with Mariner of the Seas Thanksgiving

Dnkram
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Mariner of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

Southern Carribean with Mariner of the Seas Thanksgiving

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Galveston

This was our 5th cruise. 3 with RCCL and 2 with Princess. We chose the Mariner due to the easy road trip to Galveston for the elderly in-laws. My father-in-law has Alzheimer's and this was the best way to get him this trip. Our first trip was on the Sovereign of the Seas in 1994 and the 3rd was the Rhapsody of the Seas in 2004. We have seen quite a few changes over the years, some good and some bad, with RCCL.

THE GOOD: the ships are bigger and have more activities and venues. The Mariner is a beautiful ship and we loved the promenade with its shops, clubs, restaurants, etc. We spent a lot of time there just relaxing and listening to music, people watching. The Grand Suite was a first for us. It was perfect because we had our 23 year old daughter with us and we had privacy and tons of room and storage. The perks of Suite life was great too, especially the Concierge, Luca. He was awesome and made us feel like we were his only worry. He knew the family was not in suites but More helped us many times with issues that concerned them as well as us. The specialty restaurants, Chops and Giovanni's Table were unbelievable. The service and the food were top notch, well worth the extra charges. The shows were really entertaining and very professionally done. I've attended some in the past on both cruise lines that were pretty cheesy. On the Mariner the big shows were a pleasant surprise as well as the ice show.

THE BAD: while the food in the specialty restaurants was superb, the main dining room was just mediocre, except for the Thanksgiving meal which was worse. It reminded me of my 5th grade Thanksgiving meal before the holidays where they unloaded all the leftovers. Next time I'll leave the Turkey alone and get the ham. The windjammer had a wide selection but the quality was barely above your local all you can eat buffet, sometimes worse. I really felt less personal attention than on my prior RCCL cruises. The attention we received in Chops was more like what I remember from the past in food and service quality. I guess you now get what you pay for, literally. Overall A- Less

Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Mariner of the Seas Grand Suite Deck 10 1264

1264 is on the right side of the ship just forward of mid ships. Randy was the cabin steward and did a great job. The noise from deck 11 (pools-deck chairs, etc) was nothing like what I feared. The balcony was very long but we really didn't use it that much due to the November temps and some rain. The bathroom was very large with two sinks and a big tub. Three big closets and tons of drawer space. Three adults with full luggage and didn't use it all, not even close. The Grand Suite is a great room for 3 or 4.

We shopped mostly on this day and hung around the bars and drank local beer, 2 for 5 dollars. And after paying the high prices on the ship, this seemed like a steal. Also 5$ Internet that actually was better than the dial up quality wifi on the ship. We had to tender in due to the shallow port. It was a long tender ride because the ship had to stay in an old river channel that was deep enough to take the 9 meter drafting ship.

3rd time in Cozi. It gets better every time. We took a taxi to the Money bar about 3 miles from the pier. Lazy day snorkeling , massages by the beach. Great food served waterside. There were 7 ships in port that day and the town handled it like a charm. 702 taxis getting people away to smaller venues quickly. One of my favorite ports.
Read 3140 Cozumel Reviews

The zip lining was awesome . And the monkey and wild birds park also cool. Shopping not so good. Mostly trinkets and poor folks selling whatever to survive. This is a poor island that has just started to get the cruise ships only in the last few years. It needs more time but will be worth it if some big companies can come in and help with infra-structure on shore. When the monsoon hit about halfway through the day we had to go back to the ship, there was nothing else to do after the zip lining. The area roads are terrible and potted. We got stuck twice trying to get out of spaces. The guide says they get 63 inches of rain a year and this was the monsoon season so it is understandable that this occurs in a poor country but they really need some better roads to handle a lot of tourists .
Read 1660 Roatan Reviews