Carnival Magic Cruise Review by Ettamae01: Disappointed....

Ettamae01
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Bahamas Cruises

Disappointed....

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Galveston

This was the third Carnival Cruise we have taken. The other three were on RCCL. The reason we booked this particular cruise is that we live in TX, and did not have to fly anywhere. We simply drove to Galveston. It's a beautiful ship, but the layout is odd. I'm not sure if any demographic "studies" are done before the cruise, but I think they need to understand the average age of the passengers, and where they are from. If I had to guess, 3/4 of the ship was from Texas. So what kind of music did they play on the Lido deck until almost the last day? Hip Hop.....I'm not a huge country music fan, but when they did play the occasional Garth Brooks song, the deck went nuts!!

The Serenity, "adults only" area is quite nice. But get there early as it fills up fast! We may have missed something, but as far as we could tell, the only way to get to that deck was via steps. That left all the folks using walkers, wheel chairs, and canes out. And on this voyage, that was a lot More of people.

The Red Frog Pub is great. Get to the shows early - like an hour, unless you want to stand.

The medical staff is horrible. I was sick as a dog the first day, and that has never happened to me before on a cruise. In my heart of hearts, I really believe I got some bad food. When we went to deck zero for help, I was told to fill out a form and they would not let me off the ship the next day. Needless to say, I left the form on the counter and we walked out. And don't expect any privacy...when the nurse took me in the exam room, she left the door wide open so basically everyone in the waiting area could here our conversation.

The new terminal in Houston (Seabrook) is getting two ships - Princess in 2013 and NCL in 2014. I think we may opt for one of those two next..... Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Suite Empress

We booked a Grand Suite a year out to celebrate 20 years of marriage. Initial response when we got to the cabin is that is was small for what we expected. Tons of storage space - almost too much! We were mid ship. The door leading out to the balcony was unreal. I could barely open it. It is super heavy, and SLAMS to close. When we first boarded, all I kept hearing were the darn balcony doors slamming. Would've been nice to have sliding doors, like on other ships. The balcony itself was quite large. Two chairs and a lounging chair. The closet door closest to the bed rattled quite a bit. When we opened it, it stopped rattling, but then the light inside turned on. We couldn't figure out how to turn the light off. So, it was either listen to the rattle all night, or, sleep with the light on. Frustrating.

Masted Ship Tour

(5)
The tall ship excursion was AMAZING!! Highly highly recommend!!The crew keeps you entertained, and will even allow you to help with the lines if you want. This was the highlight of our week.

Trolley Tour

(4)
Nice tour. The driver of the Trolley was very nice. However, she got into a small argument with one passenger who spoke very little English, and told her to get off and take a taxi back to her ship. Kind of put a damper on the last half of the tour.....

If you like being hounded by the locals trying to get you to buy things, this place is for you. We couldn't walk ten feet without someone offering us a tour, taxi, or to have my hair braided!! From what I can tell, if you don't go to Atlantis, it's a waste. We went to a beach, but it was so dirty, we left. We literally got off the ship for about 2 hours, then went back to lounge by the pool while it was quiet.
Read 2662 Nassau Reviews