“Tired Ship - Needs work”
Cruise review of Carnival Elation

RMSugarfoot Carnival Elation 3 Tired Ship - Needs work
RMSugarfoot
Member Since 2012
1 Helpful Vote
Overall Member Rating
The boarding process in New Orleans was fast and painless. The staff was efficient, helpful and well organized. Much faster than Miami. Thank You Carnival for that. The ship is beautiful to see. The atrium is amazing and lovely, but there are many things wrong with this ship. 1. Some of the elevators did not work right during the entire five days. One glass elevator was always messed up with doors closing, but no movement. Then when you hit the open button to leave, it would take off to the floor. Scary. Some of the main elevators acted squirrely as well. The recording announcing the floors is in dire need of an update. 2. Although we brought hygeine stuff, we did not get a single freebie in the bathroom during the entire trip. Not a thing. 3. Everywhere we looked, we saw painted had beed scratched off of surfaces. It seems like it would be a full time job just keeping the fake stained glass painted. The hot tubs were also chipped and flaking off. The old girl needs a new dress or something. 4. The food was typical Carnival food, but my biggest gripe is that I never got a potato that was cooked all the way. From fried to baked, they were still half raw. I loved the deli grilled sandwiches. Good job guys. 5. We were a party of seven and they seated us at a six person table, so one of us had to sit in a chair on the end and block the aisle every single night. Our wait staff were friendly, but very inefficient. We seldom got all of our meals together and usually they had forgotten something. Like my half raw baked potato. They gave us one glass and we could fill it with water or tea. We had to ask for a water glass. 6. My daughter was performing in the Legend's Show on the final night and for some reason, they still allow people to reserve nearly an entire row in the Mikado. I wish they would be more vigilant about that stuff. 7. The gold by the inch guy was so annoying with tapping the microphone and yelling into it. I always buy a lot of silver on the ship, but didn't buy any this time because he was so rude with the mike and he was mean to his assistant. I saw him hit him on the back of the head when I was in line to look at the chains. 8. They normally have pull down bunks for the third person in a cabin. Nope, they gave my 10 year old grandaughter a trundle bed with a saggy mattress and it was about 2 inches off of the floor. 9. Although Carnival automatically signed up the teens to O2 Club, when they went to the gathering place, they kicked them out because they said they weren't signed up. What gives? Positives: 1. Wait staff on the Lido deck were not lazy and cleaned the tables quickly. 2. Deli bar = Yummmmm Salad bar = Good stuff 3. DJ was great and gave us some great dance music. 4. The Karaoke Guy was funny and amazing. He loves his job and it shows. 5. Cabin Steward was great and earned his tip. 6. Lady in the $10 store was so sweet and friendly. I plan another cruise next year, but I won't go on Elation again.
Carnival Elation Cruises to the Southern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Interior

Port
We went to the Chocolate Factory and it was a great experience for only $10. This guy knows his chocolate and there is an opportunity for some hands on grinding of the cocoa beans. Of course, we bought some candy and it was reasonably priced.
Read 4,598 Cozumel Reviews
Stingray Swim
The Stingray adventure in Cozumel was fun, but the water was rough and the rocks are very, very slippery. The staff were great and so friendly. The DVD is $50, but there were 84 pictures on it. We ate a couple of sampler platters and they were very good, but don't order the nachos. They are NASTY. The gaucamole was amazingly good. There is a guy that makes the bracelets for $4 each. He made four of them in the time it took for us to eat lunch. He's fast and did a great job.
Port
Don't do the Mayan ruins in Progresso unless you can walk about two miles and can stand around a lot. Our guide was 77 years old and informative. He showed us every tree and rock for a solid three hours in 90 degree weather. He would talk for 15 minutes, take 10 steps and then talk for another 15 minutes. He tended to repeat himself often and a lot of his conversation was about himself. We did enjoy swimming in the Senkote. Be careful getting in because the rocks are very slippery and several of us fell on the rocks. Getting out was a bit of a challenge as well, but we made it.
Read 367 Progreso Reviews
Published 11/29/12
1 Helpful Vote
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Elation Review
Carnival Elation Cruises to the Southern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?