Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by 50yrcruiser: I've been on the best and now the worst

50yrcruiser
0 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Breeze Transatlantic Cruises

I've been on the best and now the worst

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Barcelona

My husband and I did the 12 day Cruise of the Med and stayed aboard for the Transatlantic. I have never been as disgusted at the lack of professionalism
and common sense of the cruise staff. It appears that the ship is just too big and the staff too poorly trained to manage it all.

The cabin steward on the first leg was great but on the second leg, our steward must have been hiding as we saw him twice. The service was adequate. Our dining staff were also adequate. The food however was lacking with a boring menu and interestingly enough, the sauces for all of the meats were the same or seemed to be...dark and salty. The food was usually cold and the coupling of food was just plain strange. The bread selection was small, dry, and always the same.

A big production was always made about using Purell to sanitize your hands but I am not sure what effort was made to cull the sick ones from the group. A woman sat across from us at dinner with a box of tissues on More the table and blew her nose at will as well as people not hesitating to enter elevators with coughs and snotty noses. Walking down the hallways was like walking through a kennel with the barking sounds and try playing Blackjack with a few coughing and sneezing people touching chips and cards. UGH I asked a worker who was cleaning an elevator how come he was using such a strong chemical and he told me that a lot of people were sick...

Safety and consideration? How about the naked baby in the Tidepool with no diaper on? or the 5 kids one day in and out of the jacuzzi eating and drinking with no supervision? or perhaps the Morons in the pool with beer bottles? who was in charge?

Everything about the ship was a hype...buy, buy, buy everything from jewelry to spa services and shore excursions.

Excursions? we took two. One to Pisa in the pouring rain with the lazy bus driver sitting with his feet up and the tour guide on her cel phone for most of the trip while some elderly and impaired guests had to walk for a quarter of a mile in the rain to get back to the bus but heaven forbid the bus would have gone down for them or the trip to Rome when the guide told us that she forgot her English for a bit since she just gave a tour in German the day before. She also told an older couple who asked to be picked up that walking was good for them. We took no more excursions and when we complained, the staff gave lip service that the tours were overbooked...it was raining etc.

Oh, the staff...what is it about the Eastern Europeans? is it lack of education or just plain lack of social skills and training but they are very wooden and unemotional...a bit scary. I ordered a hot chocolate from one and he told me that it was too much trouble as he had to walk from the casino to the coffee shop to get one.....hard to believe.
We had a horrible experience at the Cucina Italiana..we had a comp dinner and we invited our tablemates to come with us. the casino made our reservation and our mates made their own. The manager ( an Eastern European woman) called them back to remind them that they had to pay for their own dinner as our was a comp. They told us that they understood the circumstances. We arrrived for dinner and this woman walked over to our table and said to our tablemates." you must pay, they don't pay." and pointed to a carafe of wine that was comped to us and said," you pay for wine..if you drink...you pay." I left the table and got the woman aside and told her that she insulted these two fine woman and that I have never entered a resteraunt anywhere in the world and someone said..You Pay! Coincidently, the hotel director came into the conversation after entering the restaurant and said that the restaurant doesn't want to insult anyone and walked away. Of course, we were billed for the dinner....amazint....no wonder these people don't have a clue.

IMHO, the activities available appear to be geared to the lowest common denoninator with things like the hairy chest contest and endless inane trivia contests. The entertainment was a bit suspect with sound blasting shows and a juggler...club comedian...and a guy that did card tricks ( for real)...the saving grace was a singer taken from the troupe for a show and an opera singer. Overall, pretty bad. Although the card players were given a room to play in, they always seemed to hang around the Marketplace and the outer pool decks depriving people with food a place to sit and enjoy their lunches. A few days before the end of the cruise this was finally addressed,

I could go on and on but really, why bother? Herd them in and herd them out. Less

Read more Carnival Breeze cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Breeze Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Breeze

Great location....outside cabin...first floor...large and loved the junior tub.

We hired a private driver
Read 797 Antigua Reviews

Pretty seedy on Las Ramblas but enjoyed hiring a taxi to show us the good sites of the city

Hired a private driver for a tour

Hired a taxi for a private tour of the Amalfi Coast
Read 643 Naples Reviews

Rome on Your Own

(2)
We took the Hop on and Hop off after an argument with the tour guide who told us not to take it as we can walk to wherever we wanted to go....

We hired a private driver