Island Princess Cruise Review by dusty1117

Cruise Date: November 2012
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Cabin Category: AC
Cabin Number: D612
See More About: Island Princess Cruise Reviews | Panama Canal & Central America Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Island Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Island Princess Deck Plans
Panama Canal - Must do Trip
Background - We started our trip by staying with people we met on our Princess Alaskan trip 3 years ago in Fort Lauderdale.

Embarkation - Did not go smoothly since Island was not in its usual berth and Princess reps had no clue also how to handle passengers. We took our friend to do the Bon Voyage experience and a little disappointing. Short tour and waiters had no idea what our friend was suppose to receive. He enjoyed it.

Island Princess - Compared to the Sapphire 3 years before, I really enjoyed being on the Island. Very convenient to find dining rooms, theaters etc. Also found it not crowded. The outside of the ship needs major painting, but the inside was clean, no wear or tear, sparkling. Our meet and greet turned out wonderful.

Stateroom - Our mini suite was clean and convenient to laundry, and mid/aft elevators and although we didn't have a cover on our balcony, I had an umbrella.

Dining - Sabatini's and Bayou Cafe - Food and service were amazing. Longtime Princess cruisers were disappointed with the new menus. Since we didn't know what was before, we liked the food. Absolutely the pizza.

MUTS - Only got to watch part of a film. I didn't find it very noisy as people commented. I would have liked their first run movies to be on the TV in the room. Watching Love Boat is not my idea of good TV. Even though I watch football, too many games on Muts and really not enough people watching them to have them on Muts.

Entertainment - Wonderful. I would have liked the shows to be longer since I enjoyed them all. I also enjoyed the singers.

Service (not including dining) - Everyone from Steward, front desk, bar waitstaff, stores, room service etc. were very friendly and helpful.

Dining service - We had anytime dining and chose to eat at different tables. Inconsistent waitstaff. One night fantastic service, next night, rushing us out so they could get ready for next patrons. Next night, very slow because he had too many tables and couldn't wait on them at same time.

Port/Shore Excursions - Comments on another thread

Summary - We absolutely enjoyed this trip and would recommend Island Princess to anyone for the Panama Canal experience.

Publication Date: 11/27/12