Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by Cartersangel: Tampa to Cozumel on Jewel of the Seas

Cartersangel
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Tampa to Cozumel on Jewel of the Seas

Sail Date: November 2012
Embarkation: Tampa

We left from Tampa right on time after boarding with almost no wait time at 11-ish. Looked around a bit since this was our first time on Jewel of the Seas, then went to the buffet. Food was very good and quite a variety to pick from. Everything was very clean and service was great.

After our meal we grabbed a drink and headed to the Solarium. This was quite nice and very similar to the Solarium on Serenade of the Seas, although Serenade is just a bit nicer and seemingly newer than the one on Jewel. Our room was ready by 1pm and our bags were waiting outside our room. This was very nice since we have had times where we waiting a bit for our luggage to arrive. We had a balcony room and it was very clean and roomy. We had originally booked an inside cabin months earlier and as the final date approached I found balcony cabins drastically reduced in price. I ended up changing my room for only $60. Although it was partially obstructed (you could not see directly below into More the water), you could still see straight out to the ocean and was well worth the little bit more we paid. Bernadette was our cabin attendant and she has our room done every time we returned. She did an excellent job and I loved her smile and kindness.

We ate every dinner in the main dining room. I love not having to cook, clean, and also love being waited on instead of getting the food myself. We were informed that there was a new menu for this ship and I must say, the food was excellent! Our waiter was Jon Jon and our assistant waiter was Yuliani. They were so quick with everything that I must say this was the quickest service we have ever gotten on any cruise ship. I have never had bad service on any Royal Caribbean ship, but it just seems to get beter with every cruise. The food on this new menu did not disappoint.......it was unbelievable. We loved everything and had a hard time choosing what to eat because we wanted it all. Jon Jon and Yuliani were very sweet and we loved talking with them. Lunch buffet was very good especially the veggie lasagna, nachos, and fried chicken. Everything was delicious.

Our one port day was Cozumel. We had not made any plans and were going to just shop for awhile then get back on the ship. We looked thru the excusions the day before we got to Cozumel and found a catamaran ride to a private island, Isla Passion. It said it included all food and drinks for the day and that there was kayaking and paddle boats as well as volleyball available. We booked this the last minute and absolutely loved it. We wanted a nice quiet beach to visit and wanted to swim in the water and just relax for the day. This was perfect for us. The food was good, especially the nachos, and we had Passion Punch and Margaritas to drink. The boat ride back was fun and a special should out to ALEX who was a kind and entertaining host.

Lastly the shows on board the Jewel were to die for. I have never seen any shows like these. I wish other ships would copy this entertainment. The performers were fantastic, the singers never missed a beat and we could have watched them all night. One of them sang Bohemian Rhapsody and did it perfectly. Standing ovations every night and well deserved. Can't say enough about the shows, singers, and dancers. Would go on this ship again just to see these performers again.

The only down side to this ship on this trip was a lack of anything to do during the day. There was a lot of music here and music there but nothing to really get you interested. No cake decorating or other alternative events. They did have napkin folding but that was at 9am and when you are on a ship with only one place to stop, you do not jump up early to run and eat the buffet breakfast just to make it to a napkin folding class at 9am in the morning. The movie that ran on the TV was Hunger Games which I love and watched a few times. Unfortunately it was the only movie you could watch in your room the whole time, when you were looking for something late at night to watch.

Very nice cruise and fantastic service as usual on a Royal Caribbean Ship. Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Jewel of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Jewel of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 7 7552

Balcony #7552 right near the elevators and partially blocked view of the ocean below but can still see over the obstruction out into the sea. Still very happy with the room for the price I paid.

Catamaran tour

(5)
Booked this on the boat the day before. Catamaran ride to private island, Isla Passion, leaving at 11am and returning at 4pm. It was a 45 minute ride over to the island. This was just what my husband and I were looking for. A day on a white sand beach, swimming in beautiful water, all inclusive (all food and drinks were included in the price of $79 per person). The food was good especially the nachos. We drank Margaritas and Passion Punch all afternoon. The tour guide, Alex, was funny and very sweet. There was volleyball, kayaks, paddle boats, and music for your entertainment. A picture was taken when you first arrive and it was taken with a giant Chac-Mool statue. It came out beautiful and we bought it for $12 at the end of the day when the photographer came by with it. Later we went over and took a few more pictures next to the statue since it was so beautiful. On the way back in the boat we had to stop because there were so many dolphins chasing our boat. It was a beautiful time and I would recommend it to anyone and would do it again for an excursion in Cozumel.