Zuiderdam Cruise Review by Twin peaks

Cruise Date: September 2012
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: VF
See More About: Zuiderdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Zuiderdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Zuiderdam Deck Plans
Don't be ill on the Holland America cruise!
Having boarded the Zuiderdam in Vancouver we sailed out through some spectacular scenery towards Alaska. The hard sell started almost immediately with trips, shopping, entertainment and photos at $40 a photo! The first couple of days were quite pleasant except the food was poor, the upstairs bars were cold and usually running with water from the overflow from the swimming pool. Unfortunately after a couple of days I felt unwell and started vomiting violently. The ships nurse came to visit me and, before I was treated, ensured that I signed an agreement to pay for her visits. I was given an injection, told that I was in quarantine and that I was not allowed out for 24 hours after the last episode. We were told that cleaning and a liquid diet would automatically be put into action for me. None of this happened. No cleaners appeared, no liquids or support was offered and in fact I was charged for water. Water was requested numerous times before any appeared and then the bottles were charged for. Cleaners eventually appeared but left whilst I was still being ill. The nurse had to visit twice more with further anti nausea injections and finally an anti nausea pill. Immodium was also given. After 36 hours I stopped being ill and only 1 cleaning session and 2 water bottles had been delivered. At this point my roommate contracted the virus and similar treatment was melted out to her. I can only say that I was shocked that we had paid so much money for such shocking care. Eventually we docked and, along with other families and couples who had been ill, we were escorted off the ship at 7 am and put in taxis. When asked what we were supposed to do in Vancouver at 7 am before everything opened we were told that it was not Holland Americas problem.

I would never, ever travel with them again ..the correspondence I have since had from them was to offer me $100 off my bar bill on my next cruise with HAL. Needless to say I will not be taking them up on this offer.

I'm sure the cruise was adequate but never contract the virus that is often present on these cruise ships.....their sympathy and care is only present whilst your wallet is open!

Publication Date: 11/26/12