Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by russellrobby: First and Last NCL Cruise

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

First and Last NCL Cruise

Sail Date: November 2012
Destination: Bahamas

My wife and I have been on 15 cruises counting this one. 13 on Royal Caribbean (Diamond Level), 1 on Carnival, and now 1 on NCL. We average 2 cruises per year. and have just started trying other cruise lines. Had a really great time on our only (so far) Carnival cruise. We love everything about Royal Caribbean but thought we should give the other cruise lines a try.

We arrived at the NCL port at 11:00 and cleared security in about a minute or less, made it to the check in location and had no wait at all. As we walked up to the check in counter we were asked for our passports and boarding documents. No hello, no welcome, nothing, just passports and boarding documents. I handed him the documents and passports and our credit card. He looked at the card and said I didn't ask for a credit card and handed it back. I stood there in disbelief at how rude he was. After a minute or two he looked up and said will you be using a credit card for on board purchases. I looked at my wife who More said I think we made a mistake. I handed him the card and he swiped it and handed it back along with our room key and said your all set. I asked were do we go now and without saying anything pointed to a door. I said thanks and walked off never getting a reply.

Once on board we went to the buffet on deck 11. Our next big disappointment, there was so little to choose from and the food really was horrible. I don't know how else to describe it. The food was in tiny serving dishes with enough food for about 5 people. As I waited in line a pan became empty and the lady in front of me told one of the NCL staff behind the counter it was empty. She was told there was more on the other side. In the other line. Every meal we had in the buffet was terrible.

We looked around the ship after eating and found it to be in pretty good shape. Other than a lot of wasted space it was a pretty ship. Around 1:30 our room was ready and we went to check it out. This was our first interior room (room 8129) and it was not as small as I expected. It definitely wasn't big but for a short cruise it was ok. We NEVER once saw our room attendant. Maybe that's not something NCL does, but we always enjoyed meeting our room attendant and getting the little extra attention like being called by name when we see them in the hall and having our door opened for us when arriving back from a day at port or after a meal. The RCCL and Carnival room attendants always try to make your cruise special. But not this time. They also don't make your room up or turn down your blankets in the evening. This was different than past cruises. All we got was a daily event planner pushed under our door at some point during the night.

Other than a very few exceptions, every employee we encountered seemed like zombies, they were lifeless and seemed very unhappy. I am just so very disappointed with the whole trip I just don't know what else to say.

I will try and point out some things I liked about the cruise so it don't seem so negative. 1) The grills set up at the pool was a nice. 2) Getting a wet washcloth and cup of water or lemonade when getting back on the ship was something the other cruise lines don't do. 3) Cagney's was AWESOME!!! Had really great service and the Ribeye was as good as any I've ever had.

We chose this cruise as a quick relaxing weekend get away and a chance to try a different cruise line. We have seen all the ads about freestyle cruising. It should be called do-it-yourself cruising. If you want or need anything you have to do it yourself. We expected so much more than a boat ride but that's all we really got. Sorry NCL but we won't be back. Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky 8129

Room 8129, inside stateroom, nice location on deck 8 just aft of center, elevators located short distance to the left or right of the room. Room small but adequate, Pillows are terrible(bring your own). Bed comfortable. The smallest T.V. you could imagine. Shower is small and water constantly changes from very hot to freezing cold.

Having been to CoCo Cay, Half Moon Cay, and Labadee, I couldn't wait to get to Great Stirrup Cay. WOW!!!! What a terrible disappointment it was. They could do so much with that island. I really don't know where to begin. Out of all the private islands we've been to, this is by far the worst. Beaches are nasty and rocky, the whole island seems in disrepair and everywhere you look there is construction going on. Hard to believe NCL has had the island since 1977 and it is in such bad shape. NCL should take a trip next door to CoCo Cay they have done a great job with their island. We did set out on a hike to the lighthouse and that was pretty neat. Except for being lied to by 3 different NCL employees. 2 told us the road to the lighthouse was closed and we were not allowed back there, another employee told us Hurricane Sandy destroyed the lighthouse even though we could see it upon arrival to the island. We spoke to another couple while eating lunch that had just came from the lighthouse and said it was in fine shape. WOW...I wondered why would the staff would lie about the lighthouse. So we set out for the so-called destroyed lighthouse and after a 30-45 minute walk we found it intact and looking good. After taking a bunch of pictures we continued down the road past the lighthouse just a few hundred yards and found out why they didn't want us on that side of the island. NCL is using the backside of the island as a HUGE dump site. If this were in the US the EPA would be going nuts. NCL has dumped everything you could imagine at that site. Everything from old vehicles, to huge dump trucks, to 300-gallon IBC containers filled with who knows what, to broken beach chairs and much, much more. Almost all of it, just feet from the beautiful ocean. NCL should be ashamed. I will report it to the Bahamian Govt as soon as I find out which agency handles that type of complaint. Funny thing about the dump site is while walking to the lighthouse you pass a sign saying that you are leaving NCL property. Are they dumping on private property? Everyone please go see it for yourself and help put a stop to this terrible dump.

Blue Lagoon Island Beach Day

(4)
Nice beach, beautiful water, relaxing day on the island. Was never harassed by the locals. Excursion included a lunch (hamburger or Hotdog and Fries). Only complaint about the meal was they provide you with a very small cup of tea, punch or lemonade with no refills allowed and no free water. Had to buy water from the bar or a store on island.