Carnival Victory Cruise Review by the bruin and the duck: Carnival Victory delivers 6 islands in 7 days
the bruin and the duck
Member Since 2012
Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean Cruises
Carnival Victory delivers 6 islands in 7 days
On our second ever cruise, my husband and I decided to do something different from Alaska (our first) and go to the Carribean!
Like most people we talked to on the Carnival Victory, the itinerary for this ship is the draw for most visiting 5 different islands with a departure port of San Juan for the 6th island visit. We had never been to any of these islands and were very excited for the itinerary.
This review is only for the ship (I'll do separate port reviews) for each island.
-The room stewards were all very friendly, always greeting us with various salutations throughout the time there and our steward always addressed us by our names.
-Towel service at the Serenity Adult Only Space was a nice convenience
-Sauna, steam room, and fitness facility was in great condition
-Your time dining gave you great flexibility but of course this means you don't get the same waiter every time you dine which we were fine with. More
-Having healthy eating options on the menu was definitely a plus
Serenity Whirlpool-Having an adult only space was definitely a pro but the material the whirlpool was made out of was this thick cheap looking plastic.
Entertainment-overall decent, but nothing to write home about. Comedians were horrible though, see below.
Food-In the Pacific Dining Room it wasn't bad. The menu varied each night with certain staples every night. The molten lava cake and cheese plates were very good dessert options. The appetizers on a whole were also very good. Lobster was available on the first formal night. Filet mignon (way overcooked) also available on a different night. We generally didn't eat at the buffets in the evening although we did participate in the midnight mexican buffet. Overally the buffet food quantity definitely exceed the quality. For breakfast the scrambled eggs were not palatable so we always ordered omlettes or eggs cooked to order. It was nice to have food available-although the pizza was terrible, the chicken tenders were quite good.
Having 2 formal nights is really random. We dressed up for the first one like 90% of the ship participated in that one but for the second formal night, it went the other way with only 10% of the ship dressed up. It's the carribean so people were definitely dressed pretty casual on a whole.
Noise level-We had to call security once to quiet down our neighbors who were so loud at 12:30am on the first night that they woke us up! The cabin walls are really thin. Another time we heard a couple fighting pretty loudly and we could hear their whole argument just walking through the hallway.
Comedians-they ranged from unfunny to terribly unfunny; the best act was actually the juggler surprisingly.
Cabins-For those thinking of getting an aft cabin, be aware there is a trade off. Sure the cabin is more spacious, but every morning when the ship pulls into port and every afternoon when the ship leaves, the whole cabin rumbles for a good 5-10 minutes leaving for some very uncomfortable moments. Booker beware!
-cab ride to port from airport is about $24
-they let you on board as early as 12 noon and offer a buffet lunch
-you must be back on the ship by 9:00pm
-you can bring a whole case of water on board; there were only 2 of us and we brought a 24 bottle pack with no problem
-The whirlpools were very busy right around 4:30-6:30 but it dies down after that
-the lines outside by the pool for breakfast buffet seem to be quite a bit shorter than the lines inside.
-don't waste too much time going on the land tours-hit the beach! Less
Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>
Port and Shore Excursions
Good cruise to relax
New Ship, New Style of Cruisin...
OK Cruise, Amazing Itinerary
Good Ship, Great Times, but No...
A Great Thanksgiving Trip