Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by tip.n.ring

Cruise Date: November 2012
Embarkation: Charleston
Cabin Category: 6E
Cabin Number: E-94
See More About: Carnival Fantasy Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money 5+

Never a disappointment on the Carnival Fantasy
We just returned from a five day trip out of Charleston on our favorite ship the Carnival Fantasy. We love it because it is smaller and far less gaudy than other ships in the fleet. When you schedule a meet and greet, there is a far greater possibility of running into your CC friends than on the larger ships.

It was drizzling and rainy on embarkation day. We went through the security line and got our S&S cards pretty quickly. We were dropped off at 12:45 and on board by 1:15 Directly to the room to leave our carry-ons bags of stuff then to the Lido deck to graze.

We had to meet "Larry the Legend" who was the bartender at the Majestic Lounge in the rear of the ship on Deck 9 Promenade. He lived up to his billing that Dave "PinkFloydFan" had given him. The Majestic is the inside sports bar on the ship and is always jumping when College Football was on.

We got our checked bags in the room about 3-4 PM as I remember.

We never encountered any rude or discourteous staff member be they crew, staff or contract. Be sure to take the "Behind the Fun Tour" and you will learn the difference as well. Everyone was met with a good morning, or good afternoon each and every time.

I think Carnival must have some sort of mandatory training that simplifies how to remember someone's name simply after seeing them only once, then never forget for the entire cruise. Amazing!

The first sea-day was wet and rainy, but when we'd arrived at Freeport it was sunny and mild. The next day Nassau was quite windy but mild with the temps in the high seventies, but hey, this is November!

We had a very wet and rainy sea-day when we returned. High winds, over 50 MPH at times. This limited the on-deck experiences but the bars, casino and clubs were jammed. Regrettably the rock and sway of the ship was too much to allow the dancers to perform the nightly show in the Universe Lounge up front, but when was the last time you high kicked in four inch heels?

We were about two hours late for our arrival into Charleston. My guess, due to the weather, the decision was made to keep the speed down a bit and the customer comfort meter up as far as possible. The "silent debarkation", (a Carnival term & only Fantasy does it) went really well with the "carry all your stuff off group" followed by the "relaxed method". We were off by 1030 which is not bad for a two hour late arrival. Our checked bags were exactly where they were supposed to be, congratulations Carnival!

There was only one negative experience on this trip. On the second day, our first sea-day I used my electric shaver in the outlet over the mirror in the bathroom. I had just completed shaving when I detected a burning smell coming from it and thought the old Norelco I'd kept alive for many years past its prime had succumbed to age. It was not until I had my reading glasses on the next day, reading of course in the bathroom, that I noticed the little 115/230 slide switch on the bathroom outlet was in the 230 position.

Let me explain. In an effort to save space Fincantieri, the shipbuilder, decided to use a dual-purpose female outlet on this outlet. I would consider that our flat bladed 115 outlets versus the 230 round outlets would have both fit negating the possibility of the switch in the first place but they didn't ask me.

Anyway be warned to check the switch before you plug in your hair curler or whatever!

Publication Date: 11/21/12