Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by tip.n.ring: Never a disappointment on the Carnival Fantasy

tip.n.ring
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Never a disappointment on the Carnival Fantasy

Sail Date: November 2012
Embarkation: Charleston

We just returned from a five day trip out of Charleston on our favorite ship the Carnival Fantasy. We love it because it is smaller and far less gaudy than other ships in the fleet. When you schedule a meet and greet, there is a far greater possibility of running into your CC friends than on the larger ships.

It was drizzling and rainy on embarkation day. We went through the security line and got our S&S cards pretty quickly. We were dropped off at 12:45 and on board by 1:15 Directly to the room to leave our carry-ons bags of stuff then to the Lido deck to graze.

We had to meet "Larry the Legend" who was the bartender at the Majestic Lounge in the rear of the ship on Deck 9 Promenade. He lived up to his billing that Dave "PinkFloydFan" had given him. The Majestic is the inside sports bar on the ship and is always jumping when College Football was on.

We got our checked bags in the room about 3-4 PM as I remember.

We never encountered any rude More or discourteous staff member be they crew, staff or contract. Be sure to take the "Behind the Fun Tour" and you will learn the difference as well. Everyone was met with a good morning, or good afternoon each and every time.

I think Carnival must have some sort of mandatory training that simplifies how to remember someone's name simply after seeing them only once, then never forget for the entire cruise. Amazing!

The first sea-day was wet and rainy, but when we'd arrived at Freeport it was sunny and mild. The next day Nassau was quite windy but mild with the temps in the high seventies, but hey, this is November!

We had a very wet and rainy sea-day when we returned. High winds, over 50 MPH at times. This limited the on-deck experiences but the bars, casino and clubs were jammed. Regrettably the rock and sway of the ship was too much to allow the dancers to perform the nightly show in the Universe Lounge up front, but when was the last time you high kicked in four inch heels?

We were about two hours late for our arrival into Charleston. My guess, due to the weather, the decision was made to keep the speed down a bit and the customer comfort meter up as far as possible. The "silent debarkation", (a Carnival term & only Fantasy does it) went really well with the "carry all your stuff off group" followed by the "relaxed method". We were off by 1030 which is not bad for a two hour late arrival. Our checked bags were exactly where they were supposed to be, congratulations Carnival!

There was only one negative experience on this trip. On the second day, our first sea-day I used my electric shaver in the outlet over the mirror in the bathroom. I had just completed shaving when I detected a burning smell coming from it and thought the old Norelco I'd kept alive for many years past its prime had succumbed to age. It was not until I had my reading glasses on the next day, reading of course in the bathroom, that I noticed the little 115/230 slide switch on the bathroom outlet was in the 230 position.

Let me explain. In an effort to save space Fincantieri, the shipbuilder, decided to use a dual-purpose female outlet on this outlet. I would consider that our flat bladed 115 outlets versus the 230 round outlets would have both fit negating the possibility of the switch in the first place but they didn't ask me.

Anyway be warned to check the switch before you plug in your hair curler or whatever! Less

Read more Carnival Fantasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Fantasy Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Fantasy Oceanview Empress E-94

Well our cabin had the electrical outlet in the bathroom set to the 230 VAC setting which I didn't notice before I tried to shave so naturally I lost my Norelco shaver. Other than that the painting on the wall is upside down. No faults other than that. The Fantasy is a wonderful ship. Rooms are pretty well quiet, as this room is directly under the Celebration Dining room and empty after 10 PM.

There is a new Cariloha and Del Sol store right at the port! How convenient. It's right next to the new Senor Frogs. We took a taxi to Port Lucaya Marketplace which was $10 each round trip. You pay when you get off and are given a laminated card that gives you a ride back to the port for no additional charge. The marketplace is a collection of shops and stores, with old style straw market Bahamian stall vendors on one end. Many of the stores in the marketplace are very high end. Most open at or after 10 AM so early arrival is of little benefit, the straw area is open about 9 AM. There is a pharmacy drugstore in the marketplace as well as several liquor stores. We asked our room steward to fill our plastic cooler about 1/2 way with ice then picked up some local beers at one of the liquor stores coolers. A really significant price advantage versus the bars. Remember the "After Deck Restaurant" for lunch, pretty much dead center of the marketplace. Patricia had the fried conch and I had the fish and chips. Both were very hot and very fresh, not like some seafood you get in the states that tastes likes it has "been around" awhile. Shopping must include The Jewellery Box, which is a small shop with a very large selection of items. The sales staff are long term, meaning you will see the same employees trip after trip. I believe that in itself speaks to the character of the establishment, that they stand behind their products, and that the employees are extremely knowledgeable to the products they sell and they are happy with the company they work for. We then paid $10 each for a beach chair, restroom, pool pass at the Grand Lucayan Resort directly across from the shopping area. Very posh with good restaurants, bars and an exceptional beach. Many try to "sneak in" but the guards are pretty sharp culling out the folks that do not have the wristbands on.
Read 775 Freeport Reviews

(5.5)
We took a taxi to Paradise Island from the port. The charge was $4 each plus $1 for each couple crossing the toll bridge. We had made prior arrangements with Riu {Google it} on-line before the trip. This is a very upscale hotel on the island that is quite close to Atlantis. The daily charge is $75 each but includes open bar, breakfast & lunch buffet, beach or poolside loungers and all non-motorized typical beach toys. The return trip to the port is just $4 each and you can ask to be dropped off downtown as everything is within walking distance of Bay Street where the top shops are.
Read 2627 Nassau Reviews