Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by gottahaveabeach: Tried the Triumph!

gottahaveabeach
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

Tried the Triumph!

Sail Date: November 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

5 day cruise on the Triumph with my husband and about 10 other friends and family. Galveston is a 5 hour drive from home for us, so we drove down Friday and stayed in Hilton. They have free cruise parking and a shuttle van. Went down to the terminal around 10 and were on eating lunch on the Lido before noon. I don't really like buffets so I just had a hot dog to tide me over til dinner.
After being on the Magic for our last cruise this one definitely felt smaller, but the condition overall was good. On sea days it was too windy to go up and play mini-golf. I had wanted to see if I could find the ship's coin but never was able to get up to the sky deck to see for myself. Tried twice, it was blocked off. I don't think they ever had the pool slide or main pool open.
We ate dinner in the dining room, the food was good, except the last night, I thought I would try the comfort food: meatloaf, it was awful. We were kinda stuck back in the corner so we couldn't see the More entertainment, but overall it was good. We tried the new Taste Bar on the Promenade and liked that that too, it was just a couple of bites of something different each time but not enough to spoil your appetite for dinner. We tried the pizza and the hot deli and liked those also. Went to afternoon tea twice and enjoyed that but I liked it better back when it was not in the dining rooms. Had our free drink in the dining room with lunch one day as a perk for being past guest. Liked the new past guest party, it was not as crowded and shorter. Got our new ship pin for being "gold" delivered to our cabin. Even though this ship was full, it wasn't too bad as far as crowds, there is just not as many places to hang out. The lobby bar is way too small, there's not even a dance floor. Even though this ship is older it seems to have been maintained well and was very clean.
We did not like the bed, it was hard as a box spring to sleep on, we even asked for a mattress pad but our steward wasn't able to accommodate us there. It still has the old tube TV's, our sound and remote worked sporadically. There aren't refrigerators in the balcony staterooms. Toilet didn't work great but we put up with it. Had lots of storage, couch, table and stool. Old style safe, card operated. We had a nice balcony with 2 chairs, a table and one lounger, bigger than most due to it being an "L" shaped cabin. The carpet was clean and our room steward Chris did a good job.
The employees seemed friendly for the most part. We met the Cruise Director Jen and she was funny and personable.
We visited Progreso but only did an excursion there, I don't like the town and wanted to do something natural and exciting. We chose the bicycle/cenote tour. Fun but a real workout, not for sedentary folks! The cenotes were worth it. Then we had some "authentic" Mayan food. It is about an hour by van, not bad ride at all. In Cozumel we went where we always go to a private beach club, but had to be back at 2:30, what a bummer!!! The water was great that day.
Went to one production show but it was boring to me, went to a Couples game show and it was funny but I've been to those before. The ship's show band was excellent and had a cute young singer named Ty. I thought the music choices were limited, had the same guy singing country music in the lobby every night, I'm not a fan of country. Piano bar was nice but didn't start til 9 PM, good piano player but not strong singer, his name was Michael, he was American. I actually went to the 2 comedy shows this time and liked them and was able to get a seat without a problem. (Hated the ones on the Magic who were disgusting and so crowded, had to stand). Participated in a few games and trivia contests. I don't gamble so I can't rate that but the casino was not quite as smoky as some ships I've been on. Limited shops which were very crowded, but I only bought 2 things, I can shop at home.
Tried the sauna and steamroom once. Steamroom was good but had a cracked window. The locker rooms were clean, well stocked with towels and had big lockers. There were water coolers in the beauty shop nearby. Didn't seem to be a problem with deck chairs but the weather was cool and windy. Didn't go to the seaside theater this time, I had already seen those movies.
Debarkation went off without a hitch, who wants to get off anyway? We waited in our cabin til time to go to the waiting decks, then went to lobby when they called our numbers. It was sad coming back to cold weather and work! Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Balcony Upper 6459

6459 Upper deck balcony. Odd shaped room but we liked it. Only works for 2 persons max. The bathroom is over by the bed which we liked. The bonus is there are 2 windows plus the door to the balcony so the view is better. It is all the way to the back next to the aft wrap and there is a door from the hall with a small vestibule that goes to those two rooms so it is extra private. There's 4 closets, 3 drawers and 2 other smaller cabinets. Two small reading lamps over the bed. The balcony has 2 chairs, one table and a lounge chair, it is way longer than a regular balcony. Old tube TV, didn't work well. Remote touchy, sound was back. No room service on the TV. Old safe that operates with a card. Bed was very firm not much cushion. Loveseat on one side and a table with adjustable height option small vanity stool.

We like this port of call because my main thing i like to do is go to the beach. We shared a van/taxi to a place called Nachi Cocom, it is a private beach resort, very quiet, no entertainment or music. (Have to have booked this online in advance and paid a deposit). They limit the number to a total of only 100 guests per day. Has the best palapas and chairs to rest in and waiters all day long. Lunch and all you can drink liquor is included. There's a pool and "warm" tub, hammocks, a dock. You can rent snorkels, book a trip, but we just like to swim and relax. This was our 3rd trip there. We always make sure to tip the bartenders and waiters. Had to be back to the ship by 2:30 so the day was way shorter than I would have liked. Hardly ever see kids here, so its a great place to go for adults. They have bathrooms, showers, and a covered area with tables to eat but we always eat right on the beach. There are no street hawkers trying to sell you things. The only thing extra we usually buy is the photo they take of your group when you arrive with big sombreros on. They print it and bring it around to sell later, but there's no pressure if you don't want one. I don't buy souvenirs so we usually just go back to the ship right after.
Read 3085 Cozumel Reviews

Booked the bicycling/cenotes tour through Carnival. It is an hour from Progreso by van, there were 2 vans full about 18 of us. Got our bicycles and helmets and instructions. Had a local tour guide ride ahead of us on a bicycle, it is a dirt, rocky road through the jungle. Not sure exactly how far, maybe a few miles. The bicycles are not NEW. The chains are old, the gears don't work well, but you can manage. It is a little up and down but not too steep. We stopped at a bathroom then cycled to the first cenote. One of the vans followed with the lifejackets and our personal items. The first cenoted was down a steep rock stairway and had a small cave in back where a native Mayan medicine man told us about some different healing plants. Our guide translated. Then we got our snorkel equipment and went in the cenote. You can use their snorkels or bring your own. The water was cool and refreshing and crystal clear. You could see the rock formations and fish. The back part went underground and was black. We could not go into that part. Then we went back to our bikes and rode to the second cenote. It was slightly smaller but less open to the outside and deeper into the earth. I enjoyed our trip and was glad I came even though it was a workout. Most of the couples were younger than us. We then rode out bikes back to the small open air restaurant and had some authentic mayan food and drink. They had soda and beer also for $2 extra. After that we rode a short way back to drop off the bikes and rode back to Progreso on the van. They will drop you off in town if you want but you have to take the shuttle bus back to the ship on your own.
Read 283 Progreso Reviews