Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by gottahaveabeach

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by gottahaveabeach
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Triumph
Member Name: gottahaveabeach
Cruise Date: November 2012
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 8A

Tried the Triumph!
5 day cruise on the Triumph with my husband and about 10 other friends and family. Galveston is a 5 hour drive from home for us, so we drove down Friday and stayed in Hilton. They have free cruise parking and a shuttle van. Went down to the terminal around 10 and were on eating lunch on the Lido before noon. I don't really like buffets so I just had a hot dog to tide me over til dinner.

After being on the Magic for our last cruise this one definitely felt smaller, but the condition overall was good. On sea days it was too windy to go up and play mini-golf. I had wanted to see if I could find the ship's coin but never was able to get up to the sky deck to see for myself. Tried twice, it was blocked off. I don't think they ever had the pool slide or main pool open.

We ate dinner in the dining room, the food was good, except the last night, I thought I would try the comfort food: meatloaf, it was awful. We were kinda stuck back in the corner so we couldn't see the entertainment, but overall it was good. We tried the new Taste Bar on the Promenade and liked that that too, it was just a couple of bites of something different each time but not enough to spoil your appetite for dinner. We tried the pizza and the hot deli and liked those also. Went to afternoon tea twice and enjoyed that but I liked it better back when it was not in the dining rooms. Had our free drink in the dining room with lunch one day as a perk for being past guest. Liked the new past guest party, it was not as crowded and shorter. Got our new ship pin for being "gold" delivered to our cabin. Even though this ship was full, it wasn't too bad as far as crowds, there is just not as many places to hang out. The lobby bar is way too small, there's not even a dance floor. Even though this ship is older it seems to have been maintained well and was very clean.

We did not like the bed, it was hard as a box spring to sleep on, we even asked for a mattress pad but our steward wasn't able to accommodate us there. It still has the old tube TV's, our sound and remote worked sporadically. There aren't refrigerators in the balcony staterooms. Toilet didn't work great but we put up with it. Had lots of storage, couch, table and stool. Old style safe, card operated. We had a nice balcony with 2 chairs, a table and one lounger, bigger than most due to it being an "L" shaped cabin. The carpet was clean and our room steward Chris did a good job.

The employees seemed friendly for the most part. We met the Cruise Director Jen and she was funny and personable.

We visited Progreso but only did an excursion there, I don't like the town and wanted to do something natural and exciting. We chose the bicycle/cenote tour. Fun but a real workout, not for sedentary folks! The cenotes were worth it. Then we had some "authentic" Mayan food. It is about an hour by van, not bad ride at all. In Cozumel we went where we always go to a private beach club, but had to be back at 2:30, what a bummer!!! The water was great that day.

Went to one production show but it was boring to me, went to a Couples game show and it was funny but I've been to those before. The ship's show band was excellent and had a cute young singer named Ty. I thought the music choices were limited, had the same guy singing country music in the lobby every night, I'm not a fan of country. Piano bar was nice but didn't start til 9 PM, good piano player but not strong singer, his name was Michael, he was American. I actually went to the 2 comedy shows this time and liked them and was able to get a seat without a problem. (Hated the ones on the Magic who were disgusting and so crowded, had to stand). Participated in a few games and trivia contests. I don't gamble so I can't rate that but the casino was not quite as smoky as some ships I've been on. Limited shops which were very crowded, but I only bought 2 things, I can shop at home.

Tried the sauna and steamroom once. Steamroom was good but had a cracked window. The locker rooms were clean, well stocked with towels and had big lockers. There were water coolers in the beauty shop nearby. Didn't seem to be a problem with deck chairs but the weather was cool and windy. Didn't go to the seaside theater this time, I had already seen those movies.

Debarkation went off without a hitch, who wants to get off anyway? We waited in our cabin til time to go to the waiting decks, then went to lobby when they called our numbers. It was sad coming back to cold weather and work!

Publication Date: 11/18/12